Bronze Supporter
Jan 24, 2020
Sydney's Northern Beaches
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I was browsing chlorinators, seeing what is available in the event mine dies in the future. In Australia, our SWGs typically have high salt requirements, but I noticed one brand claimed CH must be between 100 - 250 to avoid premature death. All other recommended chemistry parameters are aligned with TFP, which is refreshing.

My math suggests that this is a very bad idea, negative CSI would be to low.

Why would they recommend such a level? I paste the quote below:

HARDNESS
100 to 250 ppm. Levels higher than the recommended level will result in a less efficient cell in regards to its chlorine production, a more frequent need for cleaning, and a chance the cell will fail prematurely. To minimise chances of high hardness levels minimise or avoid the use of chemicals containing calcium, especially, "Calcium Hardness" and calcium-based granular chlorine.

Why would they recommend such a level?
Scale. It's their way of trying to keep owners from developing scale on the cell plates, but it does not address the potential of problems for a plaster pool. You still need to properly manage your CSI if you have a plaster pool. Managing the pH, CH, and TA (together) is the best way to address this issue, not just allowing the CH (alone) to become too low.

Yeah, seems poor advice. The same manufacturer said it can even work with salt outside of maximum. Dunno if that is true or not, not sure I would test it.

I've operated my current SWG at the high salt end, and at 90% output, it melted the positive lead twice. Even though the manufacturer claims it will detect and prevent failure at high salt levels.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.