Manually vacuum pool with above ground filter

p1zaul

Feb 10, 2016
Charlotte
I am thinking of trying to use this above ground pump/ filter combo to try and vacuum my pool without needing to hook up the the pools system. This should save a bunch of time as well as not closing up my actual pools cartridge filter.

Will this work?

Intex 28635EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 1500 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI Amazon.com : Intex 28635EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump for Above Ground Pools, 1500 GPH Pump Flow Rate, 110-120V with GFCI : Swimming Pool Water Pumps : Garden & Outdoor

It may work, but that's an awful small system. It's really low flow and the cartridge is small enough that you're not going to get much vacuum time before you have to clean it.

If it was the small sand filter or a larger cartridge filter you were looking at, I'd say go for it, but with that one, not so much! :(

You also don't say which pool you have, but if it's the one in your avatar that's a pretty big pool?

Yeah it's actually a bit bigger now as I have moved, maybe a full sized pump and filter combo on a dolly would be a better idea. The issue with the robot is it can't get the heavy stuff leaves and stones or whatever else makes it's way in there. I had one in the past and still had to vacuum.

I've seen these setups on a dolly at hotels.

The Intex baby sand filter/pump combo would probably do the trick, but it's not great flow and you have to vacuum slowly. It's only 1200gpm. Better would be the 14" or 16" sand filter combo but those are going to be much heavier. Still, the price point is likely better than a full size sand filter and pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.