Manual fill via irrigation line

Dopacak

Sep 29, 2019
Wa
Hi,
Just had a below ground fibreglass pool installed (Australia) and will be getting concrete surrounding installed in a couple of weeks.

I've just read about auto-fill options which I didnt know about until now. I have a spare station available on my irrigation controller which I can hook a solenoid to fill the pool when required by my wifi controller.

Considering I dont have a dedicated fitting in the pool to plumb into, what would be the best way of allowing the irrigation to fill the pool? I can run the pipes in the next week or so, was considering drilling 25mm (1") line to the upper part of the skimmer box (under the lid), but not sure if that is the best place for it.

Alternatively I can just hide a fitting on the edge of my deck under a flap (1.7m from pool) that I can connect a hose to and connect up when I need to fill. This is probably not as clean solution, but doesn't need irreversable plumbing into pool which may be problematic down the track.

Looking forward to opinions!

D,

My pool builder added the fill line into the knockout on the back of the skimmer. It works OK, but not ideal.. The main problem is that you are pushing water the wrong way and that tends to cause the Weir door in the Skimmer to stay shut.. Obviously you want the door wide open to let the water out into the pool. I simply use a brick to hold the door down.

My plan is to convert an unused vacuum line into a fill line, but so far I have been too lazy...

Seems like you could also just add a line to the return plumbing, just before it goes back to the pool, and connect that to your irrigation solenoid..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi,
Just had a below ground fibreglass pool installed (Australia) and will be getting concrete surrounding installed in a couple of weeks.

I've just read about auto-fill options which I didnt know about until now. I have a spare station available on my irrigation controller which I can hook a solenoid to fill the pool when required by my wifi controller.

Considering I dont have a dedicated fitting in the pool to plumb into, what would be the best way of allowing the irrigation to fill the pool? I can run the pipes in the next week or so, was considering drilling 25mm (1") line to the upper part of the skimmer box (under the lid), but not sure if that is the best place for it.

Alternatively I can just hide a fitting on the edge of my deck under a flap (1.7m from pool) that I can connect a hose to and connect up when I need to fill. This is probably not as clean solution, but doesn't need irreversable plumbing into pool which may be problematic down the track.

Looking forward to opinions!
I like the sprinkler control option, or a spare relay on your automation. One thing I often mess up with the hose is I forget to turn it off... the I open my drain line and over drain... Believe it or not I've repeated this cycle a couple of times. Jim may say it's the engineer in me but I bet others have this problem too. My wife agrees with Jim! Regardless of all this any option that lets you set a specific time would be a big advantage in my mind!

Chris

I like the sprinkler control option, or a spare relay on your automation. One thing I often mess up with the hose is I forget to turn it off... the I open my drain line and over drain... Believe it or not I've repeated this cycle a couple of times. Jim may say it's the engineer in me but I bet others have this problem too. My wife agrees with Jim! Regardless of all this any option that lets you set a specific time would be a big advantage in my mind!

Chris

Hmm, now you have me thinking. I am going to have to put this in next time I do any plumbing work on the pad. Love the idea of hitting a button and dumping an hours worth of water into the pool.

My fill line is connected to my automation system... Because you can't "schedule" when the pool will need water, I manually turn it on and there is an egg-timer that shuts it off..

I think the OP is going to use his sprinkler system to turn it on, but if it does not turn off automatically, it is a sure bet that it will overflow at some point.. :mrgreen:

Jim R.

I just installed a remote fill system on my pool a few weeks ago. I was able to repurpose an existing "spray port" for the fill and used a smart switch, transformer and irrigation valve to control it. If I had a WiFi irrigation system with a spare circuit I likely would have used that. I could have back-fed the pool plumbing but that complicates things in many ways including what types of valves can be used. One major consideration of mine was the ability to monitor filling both on-site and remotely. My supply port sprays into the pool and that process can be seen and heard, even remotely using a camera. This give confidence that the fill is working and also stops when commanded to. It would also remind someone it's on and help avoid it being forgotten and overfilled. You could add a water feature next to the pool to dispense the fill water, that feature could be decorative or a simple tube. I'd try to avoid any system that has no audible and visual feedback, maybe that's just me being overly cautious. Your irrigation controller probably allows you to set a one event on-time and if so that';s a huge plus considering you don't have to remember to turn it off!

Ours is automagic fed from the irrigation line. Uses a compartment with a toilet fill valve and is plumbed into the side of the pool (they put a line in prior to shooting gunite). Stays topped off by itself. I'll take pics of it if you want.

Thanks guys, I've got about a week to come up with something before the landscaping is done :)

The wifi irrigation is for exactly what people mentioned, I can easily specify exact amount of time to fill so I don't start and forget and come back to a lake in the backyard.

Plumbing into the return line is interesting, if prefer to tap in here rather than the skimmer box if possible so it's easy to reverse out if needed to remove. Other than having a check valve so pool water doesn't go into irrigation, anything else to consider?

D,

I am not sure that you would even need a check valve.. The sprinkler valve would act as a check valve when the fill line was off and with the fill line on I doubt any water would flow backwards toward your filter/pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I sort of like this idea as then I'd have access to water close to the pool for other uses too... maybe a shower? Water for plants and flowers? Washing down the deck, etc. I'd get one of those squiqily hoses that self wrap and keep it in a big decorative hose pot on the pool deck.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
D,

I am not sure that you would even need a check valve.. The sprinkler valve would act as a check valve when the fill line was off and with the fill line on I doubt any water would flow backwards toward your filter/pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I think i'll put in a check valve anyway, I think the $10 is a piece of mind :)

Assume this will work, 1/2" fitting coming from irrigation. Threaded Injection Point Tee - Direct Pool Supplies
1580615049343.png

Not sure if feeding water into return will also push water back through the pump which probably isnt ideal?

D,

If I were doing this, I would use a Y fitting instead of a T so that the force of the fill water would be pointed toward the pool.. I would probably use 3/4" or 1" fill line into a 2" Y.. right before the return line goes into the ground and back to the pool.

I plan to do this when I clean my filter in April or May along with adding a manual valve to prevent the filter from draining when I remove the pump lid..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.