Major calcium buildup

First things first before we speculate on where that chunk came from - please post test results of your water chemistry.

I see you are a new member, so welcome. If you haven’t read TFPs Pool School, please do so. One of the primary principles taught here is self-management of your pool’s water chemistry and the only way that can be done reliably and accurately is for you to own your own high quality test kit and test your water yourself. Please see Pool School for what is recommended.

As for that chunk, I highly doubt it’s from your pipes. Scale doesn’t really form on pipes like that. Your water may be hard, but it’s not that hard and, if it were, you’d see stuff like that in your household plumbing. There are any number of things that chunk could have been caused from including plaster getting into a suction line during a build or replaster, granular chemicals being added to the skimmer, etc, etc. But, in order to rule it out, you need to postvtest results.

Welcome :handwave:

Sometimes plaster gets in the main drain when the pool is plastered. The plaster can sit for years with nothing happening.

Sometimes a chunk will break loose and go into the pump basket.

When was the plaster done?

Last edited:
Sometimes plaster gets in the main drain when the pool is plastered. The plaster can sit for years with nothing happening.

Sometimes a chunk will break loose and go into the pump basket.

When was the plaster done?
I think you may be right. I think it might be plaster. Pool was done 18 months ago. I didn't know this was possible and assume it was calcium build up. This makes more sense.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.