Maintaining FC

Once you've hit the "algae is dead and only needs filtering" point, your chlorine consumption should be reduced considerably. Therefore, maintaining FC at SLAM level shouldn't take much chlorine. The filter will catch it as long as you keep it in suspension with brushing/swimming. As noted above, your pool, your rules. But that's how SLAM works. You gotta keep that algae dead else it will come back to life and bite ya.

Reactions: Fast7
Yeah I understand what y'all are saying. The chlorine consumption has come way down after the slam and all the algae is completely dead. Only slight powder settles on bottom of pool. I've been keeping it stirred up so filter would catch it. I think I'm just losing so much chlorine now to the sun. It's been really hot here and I have zero shade on pool from the time sun comes up til it goes down

The more FC you have in the pool, the more you will lose to the sun.

My recommendation is to test it once daily, preferably in the afternoon. Then figure out what you need to add to get to the top of the range of your CYA per the chart. Add that. Next day, test again, add again. See how much your PPM loss is each day. If it's over 4 then you might want to bump up your CYA by 10 ppm and raise up to the new target value at the top of the new target range. The daily loss should go down with more CYA.

Reactions: TammyGriffin
The more FC you have in the pool, the more you will lose to the sun.

My recommendation is to test it once daily, preferably in the afternoon. Then figure out what you need to add to get to the top of the range of your CYA per the chart. Add that. Next day, test again, add again. See how much your PPM loss is each day. If it's over 4 then you might want to bump up your CYA by 10 ppm and raise up to the new target value at the top of the new target range. The daily loss should go down with more CYA.
Very good explanation. Thank you so much. You've been great about answering my question ?

Update..ok i think I'm getting the hang of this. I stopped over shooting my chlorine. Stopped testing twice a day. I ve only been testing in the late afternoon now. And my chlorine loss each day has come down to 3.7 only about 1 gallon of each a day. So I'm ok with that. A lot better. So I assume that when I was over shooting the chlorine it was just wasting.

See

Thanks I've been running 24/7. Because I was slamming and letting filter clean cloudiness out. But now I'm crystal clear I need to back off run time. But I think maybe I should back off slowly until I know what is sufficient. I going to set it for 12 hours first. And go from there. I was just wondering on time of day or night was best? Or it doesn't make any difference?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Doesn't matter. If you only have a single speed pump you could run it at night if electricity is cheaper. I used to run from 1-5p so that the pool would be (relatively) skimmed when I came home. Obviously it needs to be running when you test and adjust so you can take that into account as well.

If you want to cool the water and your overnight temps are lowish, running at night may help to cool the water. If your electricity has different rate periods, you might want to run when $/kw is lowest. Otherwise, it likely doesn’t much matter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.