Main Drain Gasket Question

T-Rock77

In The Industry
Jul 21, 2021
Knoxville,TN
I have a friend that called me and they recently replaced their liner. We were too busy to help and walked them through the process. They did a great job but One of their main drain gaskets moved and is about 18" away from the drain. I went to view it and have never fixed one like this. My question is this: Can the drain cover be taken apart with water in the pool, reach or fish over to the gasket and pull it back to the proper spot without messing up the pool? Part of me feels the pressure in the pool will not let the liner move and the holes will line back up. Another part of me feels like when you raise the liner to get the gasket water will get under the liner and you may not get it back out to make everything work. Any suggestions?

Texas Splash

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2014
Texas, San Antonio/Marion, South-Central Area
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
Welcome to TFP! :wave: You should be able to remove the drain cover itself, but I would be a bit hesitant to try and fish that thing back as well. Being so new I'm not sure if the water weight alone is the biggest factor. As you noted, even if you could slide it back to the drain the holes may not line-up. Perhaps it would be better to leave that gasket where it is and find another way to seal around the drain/liner? Let's tag @jimmythegreek for more guidance.