Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I am trying to figure out the nuances of "Anti-Entrapment" as far as my single main drain goes. I'm not worried about it from a personal safety standpoint, but 25 years of working in refineries where you can get fired on the spot for minor safety violations has made me OCD about such things. Yes, it's neurotic behavior, but it's MY neurotic behavior! o_O

When I bought the house, the drain wasn't noted as deficient by the inspector so I didn't pay too much attention to it. Recently, I happened upon an article about main drain cover recalls and mine sort of looks like one of the models involved. Pic is attached, but it's not great- Had to zoom in on an existing picture that wasn't focused on the drain. I'll add another later, if needed.

I know that I'm (probably) not going to have a SWAT team come arrest me for a not-up-to-code drain cover, but if it's as simple as swapping a cover I'd do it and toss back some bourbon in celebration of knowing that I made something marginally more safe. However, I sincerely question whether replacing a cover would really make a difference and I'm definitely not in the market to gut the pool and add a 2nd drain. So I guess the question comes down to: Is there anything that I feasibly should/could do about my existing cover? Or is it down to splitting hairs unless I do major replumbing?

Thanks for any insight! :)

Attachments

• IMG_2118.jpg
    IMG_2118.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 11
Here is a VGBA complaint drain cover that I think will replace your existing one. The only downside is pool cleaners may get hing up on the height of it.

Depending on your plumbing you can install a vacuum release like...

More on the VGBA...

Without any reno work happening you should be grandfathered in. You could still always replace the cover for piece of mind, and it would be a GREAT excuse to buy one of these :

Do you have one of those mini tanks? I actually looked at them because I also have a couple of calcium nodules in the deep end that I wanted to sand down and seal up. But I'm wondering about the quality of the regulator on it and how likely it would be to inflate my lungs like a puffer fish in use (aka- very bad day).

I have not bought one yet...... I’m looking for my OWN excuse to justify it. :ROFLMAO:

Here is a VGBA complaint drain cover that I think will replace your existing one. The only downside is pool cleaners may get hing up on the height of it.

Depending on your plumbing you can install a vacuum release like...
My polaris gets hung up for no apparent reason at all, so this would probably be like rearranging the furniture on a Roomba. I'm secretly hoping my dog finally catches it one day and damages it to the point of no return. LOL

Would that vacuum release work if you're pulling from the main drain and the skimmer? Or would you plumb it in ONLY to the drain line? I'd have to do some digging to see if there's any place I could tie something like that into the plumbing. I don't think I have anything that exists above ground where it would work.

As a dive master, I can tell you these are fine for pool use. No worries about puffer lung inflation (lol). Unless your pool is deeper than 33’, you don’t have to worry about the gas compression.

Keep in mind, breath rate is the major factor here. New divers are super excited and nervous and always fast breathers. You’d be lucky to get 2-3 minutes from this tank. Then you’ll need to fill it at a local dive shop (or get a trans-fill whip and a larger tank and do it yourself).

Just something to keep in mind. Either work super fast or breathe super slow :)

For a few more bucks they have ones that you recharge with a bicycle pump. If they work like it’s claimed, it might be worth it for less headache refilling.

Scarecrow,

Your cover looks fine to me.. The bad covers were basically flat and level with the pool bottom.. You could sit on them and close them off with your body, the suction would then hold you in place.. You have a raised cover and it would be almost impossible to cover that whole thing at once.

I can't see any reason to change it at all.

I would never, as in NEVER, install any kind of SVRS system. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: sacredcow

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As a dive master, I can tell you these are fine for pool use. No worries about puffer lung inflation (lol). Unless your pool is deeper than 33’, you don’t have to worry about the gas compression.

Keep in mind, breath rate is the major factor here. New divers are super excited and nervous and always fast breathers. You’d be lucky to get 2-3 minutes from this tank. Then you’ll need to fill it at a local dive shop (or get a trans-fill whip and a larger tank and do it yourself).

Just something to keep in mind. Either work super fast or breathe super slow :)
Would a dive shop fill it for me without a certification, though?

I've been meaning to go ahead and get certified- Every time I travel to Mexico or the Caribbean I end up getting left behind to drink on the beach while many of the group go to dive. Not that there's anything wrong with the beach drinking, but I like options.

Would a dive shop fill it for me without a certification, though?

I've been meaning to go ahead and get certified- Every time I travel to Mexico or the Caribbean I end up getting left behind to drink on the beach while many of the group go to dive. Not that there's anything wrong with the beach drinking, but I like options.
My dive shop wouldn’t, but, I know of plenty that wouldn’t ask for certification.

Go get certified. I have over 1500 dives and I’ve loved almost every single one of them!

My dive shop wouldn’t, but, I know of plenty that wouldn’t ask for certification.

Go get certified. I have over 1500 dives and I’ve loved almost every single one of them!
Actually, one of my employees is certified and would probably do it for a free lunch... :unsure:

A good friend of mine who was an avid diver passed away some years back and had his ashes put into a brick that is now part of Neptune's Memorial Reef off of Key Biscayne. He indicated in his last days that it was to keep his combative ex-wife who couldn't swim from spitting on his grave. I'd definitely love to be able to go pay him a visit.

Sadly, I lost my dive buddy years ago. He passed during a dive (not with me) where a bunch of mistakes were made (unfortunate they were his). I still haven’t lost my desire to get in the water.

If you get to see him at Neptune’s reef, continue on down to key west and dive the vandenburg. Great “wreck” dive.

Reactions: sacredcow
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.