Magnolia Texas (Houston) Pool Build Thread!!

IMG_1853_zpsldzho4ld-1.jpg

IMG_1852_zpsndxfqgin-1.jpg

IMG_1851_zpsxfgtbafl-1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah photobucket has really become bogged down with all of their adds and such. If you want fast and easy you can always become a supporting member (see top of page). You will get a discount on the testing kits and more photo storage.....just a thought.

Kim:kim:

ill take a look at that option..

do you know how it works with varying widths on installing flagstone? this quartzite seems to very from .75" thick to 2" thick.

I totally agree with Kim on this...i tried to use photobucket and it was a pain. Being a member helps the site and the support, suggestions and expertise is well worth the price of admission! I would certainly have been willing to pay more knowing what I know now and for what I have learned. Kim/Suz do not send any donation envelopes to my house...ha ha

Yeah photobucket has really become bogged down with all of their adds and such. If you want fast and easy you can always become a supporting member (see top of page). You will get a discount on the testing kits and more photo storage.....just a thought.

I can see why you feel in love with that stone! Man that is pretty! I would so be cutting those straps and pulling all of them out to pick my favs to be used at major focus points like where your eyes fall as you out the back door to the pool.

I am not sure how your stone guys will handle the different thicknesses but my gut say they should be able to put like ones together and use medium size ones to help "blend" the sizes all together. We call them artists with a big saw. I would talk to them to see how they will handle it. They might even be able to "grind" the thicker ones down?

:hug:

They will just lay the mortar base a little thicker in the areas that need it so its level. It's the same thing they did on my spa spillway and my bench.
It's easy for them and it comes out clean and you won't even remember they were different sizes when they are done

i have two options for my waterfall as the price seems to come out almost exactly the same.

option 1 is the waterfall is sculpted out of gunite just like the slide so they flow well together

option 2 the waterfall is real moss boulders and the slide is gunite.

I think option 1 will give me better "water flowing" coverage because with "fake" you can tell the water to go vs. moss rock you are somewhat limited to the shape of the rock.
my builder said he would do either, but his opinion he would do fake so the slide and the waterfall look pretty similar in regards to color and with fake he said its much easier to direct the water were we want it to go.

I am leaning towards fake...thoughts?

fake would also be less maintenance, no mortar to repair and no sand getting in the pool from the moss rock....thoughts...

I don't have a slide or a rock waterfall, so I can't give much advice. I have seen some man-made gunite rocks/boulders that didn't look good to me. If you haven't already, ask to see 2 or 3 of your PB's pools with the gunite boulders. You can also do a search on TFP and find many samples of both types of rock walls and waterfalls - quite a few include slides.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm for anything needing less maintenance!!

Suz I was about to the say the same thing! Ask to see examples of both type and pick from there AND if you can talk to the owner to ask about maintenance even better!

I will say I really like how the real rock looks but do see the value and beauty in the fake as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They sure do match with those two pieces! The colors will vary quite a bit and that is part of the fun. I would pick out the ones I really liked and make sure they are at the impact areas........when you walk out of the house towards the pool where does your eyes fall? That is where to put the extra special ones.

They sure do match with those two pieces! The colors will vary quite a bit and that is part of the fun. I would pick out the ones I really liked and make sure they are at the impact areas........when you walk out of the house towards the pool where does your eyes fall? That is where to put the extra special ones.

When I walk outside my eyes will go straight to the waterfall/slide. It's pretty big at 20' long and 6-7' tall.

the most stressful part is I am out of town until weds. Next week and they are rebaring the waterfall now. Has me nervous that I'm not there but I totally trust my PB.

He said it would take 4-5 days to rebar. Then they shoot it and let it dry. Then come back and start sculpting.

Your tile looks great with the flagstone! Have you selected your pool color finish?

Which reminds me..... it's time or past time for you to create your signature. Look at other people's signature including mine to include everything. It really is important because:

------ When people are researching for designs and materials, they'll see yours and love something you did wanting to do the same. Or they will want to know what size equipment you used since your pool size is similar to theirs. Going back through pages of your thread to find that little piece of info can be frustrating and time consuming. You really help out others with your signature.

------ In the future when you need help with equipment or water management, the guides, mods, and experts will need that info to be able to advise you. Then you're helping others help you.

Kim has the best ideas! Put your favorite pieces where you'll notice them the most. I've heard her say that before, but I always forget it!!! :brickwall: And before water, if you see some waterline pieces you wish they had tucked away (I did), remember that only the top 3 inches will be showing. Now I can't even remember which pieces I was unhappy with.

Sorry about no pictures lately work has been really crazy which is good.

i will get some up over the weekend.

my pool is far from done but below are the things that have been done and this weekend I will follow with pictures.

1) plumbing almost done
2) tile work almost done
3) waterfall/slide is built and in the process of staining to make it look real
4) the wall for the fireplace has been shot out of gunite.

there has been a lot of rain so it has been a slow process but I am very pleased with how everything is turning out

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.