Magnetic stirrer

Chemchallenge

Aug 9, 2019
South East Texas
Just got my TF-100 test kit with magnetic stirrer. So can I use the stirrer for all
the manual hand swirling that is shown in the how to videos. It seems to make sense that you could or maybe even should but I thought I’d ask to make sure.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
I also use mine for the CYA test. You just use equal amounts of pool water and R-0013 so it's easy to use a vial and the speedstir. I just use 14.6 ml of each because it will completely fill the CYA view tube when mixed.

I also have a second vial so I just pour 14.6 ml of pool water in one and 14.6 ml of R-0013 in the other and then pour one into the other and add the mixing bar and let it stir about 30 seconds.

You could also use a syringe and add it that way. I have a 10 cc syringe that I use occasionally.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
So Dave,

Does this do away with the 2 minute wait period or ???? What is the advantage or reasoning behind your method?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
It actually does away with the wait, as the wait allows the melamine to evenly distribute throughout the liquid. With the speedstir, that's not an issue, but that's not the biggest issue to me. The biggest advantage (in my mind) is not having to handle the CYA mixing bottle and not having to manually "shake" it. :)