Lowering PH - Lowering TA

Renloos

Jun 25, 2019
Ohio
I just bought a bottle of Muriatic Acid from Home Depot. I looked for the % and found that it says 20%. Pool Math has Muriatic Acid at 14.5% and 29%. Is there a formula to use when I have a different percentage than the Pool Math app? My PH is creeping up because my TA is high (160), so I'm working on getting that straightened out. PH is only 7.8 right now, but has been creeping up consistently over the last few days. (we've only had the pool open for a little over a week.)

And just so I understand correctly, to lower TA, I should aim to lower PH to 7.0-7.2 with muriatic acid then aerate to raise the PH up again? I would aerate with the jet turned up, SWG and kids playing. Does that sound right?

24' above ground, SWG, DE FIlter, TF-100 with Speedstir

HDX has two products in the Garden/pool section right next to each other. One is 31.45%, the other is 14.5%. At least my nearest Home Depot (Bullhead City, AZ). They come in a box with 2 one gallons containers in it.

Reactions: Texas Splash
My local Home Depot and Lowe's do not have a pool section. Probably because it's Ohio. This is what we bought near the paint section. The guy that helped us find it said it's what he used in his pool. The website for the company said it was 20% muriatic acid. Do you think it's ok to use?
20190708_172002.jpg

Green -- they do not advertise a specific %. I believe it is close to 14.5%.

The pool section in our Home Depot is in the Garden section - outside.

Not sure where you are in Ohio - I picked Akron - the Home Depot in Cuyahoga Falls shows having the 31.45% two packs. 86 in stock.

Ha! You are close! Cuyahoga Falls is about 45 mins away. We have a few closer to us so that's where we looked. Yes, we checked outside too...then asked and were told they don't have a pool section at our Home Depot. I guess that's what we get for only having 4 good swimming months out of the year!

So, in your opinion, should I not use what I purchased?

Thanks so much for your help!

Attachments

• 20190708_175526.jpg
    20190708_175526.jpg
    346.9 KB · Views: 9

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update and Question: I'm slowly getting my TA lowered so thanks for the help!

My question is: Would you rely most on a $15 PH meter (came free with my TF-100 kit), or the color matching test block from the K1000 set (using the 5 drops of red regent)? I calibrated the PH meter with two different test packets. I'm getting a higher reading every time with the PH meter. It might say 7.8 when my color matching to the test block will say 7.5. I'm not sure which one to believe!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.