Lowering Alkalinity

newbiepo0lowner

May 19, 2021
Sacramento, CA
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi,
We have an excessive heatwave upon us and I tested the water today. I knew it already needed liquid chlorine so was planning to add some today.

My TA is looking to be out of the ideal range. How do I lower this? I have some baking soda that is in the shed that was left over from the previous owners but am confused at what point I put some in.

I’m not that savvy with the pool math app yet and haven’t figured out how much I would put.. do I add chlorine first or baking soda? What does high TA mean with the rest of the numbers?

we plan to use the pool today. How long would we have to wait in order to swim?

thank you!

Attachments

• 7BE1352F-0C18-40CC-B3EE-098D36576504.png
    7BE1352F-0C18-40CC-B3EE-098D36576504.png
    340.2 KB · Views: 6
Keep your FC in the target range for your CYA - see FC/CYA Levels

Your TA is elevated. Baking soda would add more TA, so you do not need that. I doubt you ever will.

When your pH is at 7.8-8, lower it to 7.4 using acid. The TA will slowly lower if you do that.

After adding the chlorine, run the pumps for a few minutes and go swimming.

Same when you add acid. Do not add acid and chlorine at the same time. 15 minutes a part is good.

After adding the chlorine, run the pumps for a few minutes and go swimming.

Same when you add acid. Do not add acid and chlorine at the same time. 15 minutes a part is good.
Thank you!!! I will go get some acid on my grocery run.

My pool will need water added at some point. How does adding water affect levels? I assumed it affects all test?

You are adding 1 or 2 inches? You do not have a signature for your pool, but that is usually less than 2 or 3% of pool volume. And as it was from evaporation, it only adds to CH and TA. As the new water you add has those in it.

Reactions: newbiepo0lowner
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.