Lower CYA - Draining Fiberglass Pool

HBrittan

Silver Supporter
May 9, 2020
Benbrook, Texas
I have been doing a SLAM for a week and while color looks better, it is still very cloudy. I messed up at the beginning and my CYA is 90. Checked it 3 times today because I could not believe I could have messed it up that bad. We have been slamming based on thinking we were at 45.

To get to a 45, I need to drain approximately 50% of my pool water and refill. Everything that I have read says do not drain a fiberglass pool.

So, my question is, Can I drain my fiberglass pool to 50% then refill it without any problems?

Thanks.
H

mknauss - Wanted to touch base and let you know that we did the exchange. I had to go get a small pump so it was the next day before I started. Started at 3pm Thursday, and by my calculations, i should have been about 24 hours. I turned everything off about 600pm Friday. Circulated for about 45 minutes and then checked the chemicals. CYA went from 90 to 50. I would have liked it a bit lower, but I am happy with that, and will see what happens next.

We started the SLAM again last night, and will continue to run the pump and filter. It was super cloudy before the exchange. Barely saw past the second step. After the exchange you can see the third step buy not the bottom of the pool. Can’t see anything in the deep end. The color is almost blue, but still has a slight green tenge. The color is bit better this morning, but still cloudy.

Thanks for the help on the exchange.

Any thoughts on the stubborn cloudiness?

Thanks.F5E4C3E3-9F0C-4D0F-BF49-8A62A610E154.jpeg

Do you think a full change would have been better? After the exchange, we started the slam again. Here is a pic from last night at 8 til this morning at 8. Sky color and lighting might make a difference but it seems look better. I guess we will know in a couple of days.2DCC3FB0-673A-4FAE-996B-23ADCCD50DE5.jpeg

What you are doing is great. Just follow the SLAM Process exactly. Be sure your read that article and take no shortcuts.
Your Poolmath logs do not show you have ever tested for CH. Eventually it would be a good idea to do that.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Marty, Thanks for the encouragement. It’s all new to me, and its good to hear we are doing it right. My wife keeps telling me, it took over a year for the pool to get that bad, its not gonna get better over night. We’ve been following the SLAM method, not realizing our CYA was so high. Now that we have it lower, and can get the chlorine right, I think we will finish strong.

Going out to get samples now, We will include CH in our rounds this morning.

Thanks again.
Harry

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.