Low suction at the skimmers

Apr 10, 2016
Azle, TX
Hey guys, new pool owner so please bear with me. I noticed when I checked the skimmer baskets, they were near empty. I stood and watched small items float right on by! When I run the auto pool cleaner, there's plenty of pressure there. I've removed the 4 cartridge filters and thoroughly cleaned them, as they were pretty dirty. I've also cleaned the pump basket, although there was very little debris in there. I primed the pump and put the cover back on. Any help would be aprreciated as I'm constantly hand skimming to keep the floaters out of the pool!

Are the weirs missing? A key element to skimmer operation is velocity. A certain amount of water has to flow into the skimmers to replenish what the pump has drawn down. If the opening is too large, the velocity goes down and nothing gets pulled in. That's why skimmer weirs float just enough to have about 1/4" of water across the top.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you have a bottom drain?

If yes, is there a valve on the suction side plumbing to switch between drain and skimmers? Or a diverter valve under the skimmer basket?

You have a powered Jandy valve on the input to the pump, right now it is pulling water from the right side pipe only. Have you ever seen it swing the other way when running any of the various modes from the control panel?
The second hole in the skimmer would go to the main drain if not plumbed independently. Is the second hole plugged hard to tell in the picture?

Around the back of the valve there should be a toggle switch that will allow you to override the control panel. Flip that switch in the opposite direction and wait till the handle is pointing at the pump then flip it to the middle neutral position to stop it from moving. With the handle pointing at the pump it will be pulling from both sides equally. Start the pump and see what happens. If the skimmer starts working put the toggle back to the original position, the handle will go back to the way it is in the picture then you will have to figure out what mode on the panel causes that valve to open.

Here's my take.......

The powered Jandy valve on the right of your pic is on the suction side. The pipe attached on the left side of that is your spa suction (spa bottom drain). To the right of that powered valve is pool suction. It appears there is more than one pipe on the pool suction side. If you can provide a pic of that area, it may help us better assist you.

With the current valve positions in the pic, your setup is in pool with spa spillover mode. In your pic, the powered Jandy valve on the left is on the return (pressure) side. The left most pipe is the spa return. The pipe directly below the manual Jandy valve is the return to the pool. The pipe to the right of the powered Jandy valve is for the waterfall.

The pipe directly below the left powered Jandy valve is for your pressure side cleaner (attached directly to the output of the boost pump). The cleaner boost pump appears to be fed from the tee fitting in the pool return side.

I see you also have a SWG. Is it functional? Please add it to your signature as it may help at a later time when you have further questions. Also add any model numbers you can see of your other equipment.

Alright, you guys know your equipment! I'm new to this whole pool thing so please bare with me. ATT TECH 2, I did move the valve with the handle facing the pump. This position caused the spa waterfall to stop, and the spa water level to drop. I have not seen any valves change automatically, although there is a preset filter/cleaner program running
PROAVIA, thanks for that info, I'm told the SWG is non functional due to the pool having a stone cap.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.