Low PH, High Alk then Green Swamp!

4chesney

Aug 14, 2019
Central North Carolina
We have an intex prism pool 15' x 42" and have had no issues all summer til now. All of a sudden, pH dropped below 6.8 w/ Alk very high. Then algae started growing on bottom. Water turned cloudy, then bright green, and now looks swampy and has a slimy feel to it. It was crystal clear 3 days ago! We have had quite a bit of rain- with hard downpours. Pool was clean - minimal leaves, and vacuumed a lot. Have been brushing it 5-6x/ day. Tried shocking it and raising pH with pH up twice. I'm feeling like I'm in way over my head now. PLEASE HELP!!

Hi and Welcome!

You have algae, and therefore need to follow the SLAM Process. I suggest that you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and all of Pool School as well.

You will need a proper test kit, see Test Kits Compared. We recommend the TF-100 because it's the better value, and I suggest you get the XL Option since you'll be SLAMming and will need the extra reagents. You can also get the Taylor K-2006C, but make sure to get the C option since the K-2006 has very small bottles. The TF-100 ships very fast and the reagents are guaranteed to be fresh.

Another option is to drain and refill your pool, start again. But if you choose that option you'll still need a proper test kit and to chlorinate properly, or it will happen again.

How are you chlorinating? What test are you using? Strips are very inaccurate and we can't give you any recommendations based on those results.

These videos may help you understand what you're reading in Pool School. There are more cool videos here: Trouble Free Pool

Thank You! I have been using the Clorox app and strips that you scan. I have noticed the results the app records doesn't always match what I see on the strip! I have mostly used their products although I did try Borax to raise pH and that's really when I started having ALK issues. Unless I have just put some thing in to raise the pH it's always very low. I have a lot of homework to do! I thought I had a handle on testing til now ?

Yeah... strips are junk. You can throw them out.

There's lots to learn, but seriously the first thing you need to do is get a proper test kit ordered. If you'd like to see a recent success story that will show you how well our methods work, check out this thread.

Happy reading!

Did you get the K-2006C or the K-2006?

If you can change the order, I would suggest doing that ASAP. There's very small bottles in the K-2006, and you'll need more than what's there to complete your SLAM.

You can also order refills via TFTestkits.

Did you get the K-2006C or the K-2006?

If you can change the order, I would suggest doing that ASAP. There's very small bottles in the K-2006, and you'll need more than what's there to complete your SLAM.

You can also order refills via TFTestkits.
K- 2006 but I can get more. Can I use regular bleach? We decided to drain our pool down, were planning to throw the bleach to it, brush it down, rinse it, drain it back down through the pump and filter and then refill it. Then we can shock it if it needs it. The K-2006 test kit will be here by then. Does that sound like it will work? Thanks for your advice!!

Regular bleach, no additives, no splashless, no scent, no anything special. Should be 6%. Check the label, and also check the date code. The first two numbers are the year, the next set are the day of the year (in numbers from 1-365).

Draining will help, yes. With Intex you can drain as much as you want. Might want to wash the liner with bleach once you get it drained. Yes, wash the liner with bleach.

Chances are you won't need to SLAM after you wash and refill. Your test will be in and you can start afresh with TFP methods.

Great job ordering the kit. Really do throw the strips out. They virtually have no business being in your pool care equipment, even for back up. Stop using the Clorox app. TFP has their own app, called "Pool Math," which corresponds with and supports the methods and teachings you'll find here. Stick with that.

I like my K-2006: small bottles and all. I like the small case it comes in, which fits everything I need, including my SpeedStir. I later purchased large refills and this has worked out fine for me. Buying the larger kits is the better value, but if you don't swap your order it's not the worse thing. Speaking of which, order one of these (shop around for the best price). You'll thank me later. It really is must-have:

Taylor 9265 Magnetic Stirrer Speedstir Start-Up Pack w/ Stir Bar + Batteries

frogabog has you covered. I just wanted to add this: if you decide to drain and clean your pool in your attempt to rid yourself of your algae problem, be sure you clean everything thoroughly. Algae can hide and quickly "reinfect" your pool even after you've drained it. In your skimmer, ladder tubes, light niche, and conceivably in your pump or filter, too. If algae is hiding anywhere in those (or other) places, it can startup again no matter how well you scrubbed the liner.

Trust TFP. Don't mix and match advice. Not from a neighbor or local pool supply or pool guy. If you decide to follow the advice here (which will work), don't be tempted to add any ideas from any other source, including your own "logic." It will likely prolong the problem. This is the mistake I made when first finding TFP. It wasn't until I stopped doing that that led to eventual success. Do exactly what TFP advises, nothing more, nothing less. Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.