Low out flow cartridge filter

If you drain a vinyl liner and leave it drained the liner will shrink. You can drain an above ground pool without worrying about the liner floating. As I understand, the plan proposed is to drain the pool down to about 18" deep and immediately refill with fresh water. As long as you are not draining and leaving the pool empty for days at a time your liner should be fine.

Pool was a swampy green (wasn't put up in 2018).

7 yrs old and wasn't put up in 2018...sounds like an Intex style pool?

If so you can drain down to a few inches easily. Also liner damage won't be an issue since they are designed to be drained for months at a time. If going to the trouble of draining an Intex style pool I wouldn't stop at 18" but go for 6 inches or so.

Drained the pool to 18 inches. Got in and got all the leaves out. Had way more then I thought there was. Also had the water pump pumping out water while it was filling up just to get more clean water in! Now the pool is filing up. When it's filled should I balance the water first or get rid of the ammonia first? And to get rid of the ammonia is it just check and add liquid chlorine to 10ppm every 15 minutes?

Less now that you drained alot of the water. You will need to SLAM anyway so have 20 gallons of 10% on hand to start.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The drain got rid of it.
Move forward with adding CYA and the SLAM. Check your pH first and adjust to 7.2, if necessary.

Yes I was using 25ml but from now on I'll use 10ml!
Ph 8.0 so I added ph down and will retest in 2 hours to see of it needs more.
Ta 130
Ch 70
And the one thing I forgot to get is cya :hammer:
Have about half a pound left from last time so will add that and get more
Will continue to SLAM!!
How often should I be testing fc while slamming?
And the out flow still slows down after about 30 minutes. Should I just take the filter out or clean it every 30 minutes? It doesn't even look dirty when I clean it.

Last edited:
Test your FC and add chlorine as often as possible. Once FC is holding better you can get to 3 or 4 times per day.

The cartridge is filtering out stuff. What comes off of it when you spray it clean?

I take it that is a single cartridge. How old is it? Have you ever soaked it in TSP to remove oils?

Yes it's a single cartridge. I used the filter I had it was 2 years old. Thought the filter was the problem so i went and bought a new one and its doing the same thing. New filter worked good for about 4 hours then stated to slow down again.

If a new one does the same it is solids. May be very light colored dead algae. So may not see it when you clean them. Alternate the filter cartridges so you can keep the pool filtering while you clean the dirty one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.