Low Flow: Intex Pump, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Intex Saltwater

Chele

Aug 4, 2016
Atlanta
I'm stymied again. I have a 15' Intex pool. I had an Intex Sandfilter pump, but I bought a Hayward cartridge filter instead. So I am still using the Sand filter pump but running through cartridge filter instead, then into Intex saltwater converter. I have very low flow. I have taken the pump apart and impellers are clean. I've taken out the filter and put it back together without the filter installed as a test, so it's basically bypassing the filter. Pressure increased some, but still not what it used to be.

The saltwater system is clear and I don't see any obstructions, but I haven't taken it apart. There is not an easy way to bypass saltwater system as my run is too long and I would have to figure out how to daisy chain two intex hoses if I wanted to bypass saltwater for a test.

Don't know if this is pertinent but, I also have some type of leak. My pool level won't go any higher than the bottom of the return. I assume the return "patch" is leaking somehow, although I can't find any evidence of it (another baffling problem). Anyhow, so my return is above water line (The sends are below water obviously). I figured there may be air in the system because of that and that is not letting it flow correctly. However, the pump basket has no air in it except small bubble in top of basket, and I can see no air bubbles in the salt water "tube", so I don't think there is any air in there. So I don't think it's an air issue, but I don't know. I'm baffled. Can the intex salt water systems get clogged? And if so, wouldn't I be able to see it since they use clear plastic housing?

I'm out of ideas.

Thanks.

My buddy switched from a cartridge to a sand filter in his Intex and he now notices more flow. I don't know anything about these pools, but he was showing me his last weekend. I am wondering if the cartridge systems normally are just harder to move water through with their little pumps? Just an idea.

The leak thing is WEIRD! The amount of water that should be flowing out somewhere would be massive and very noticeable. I would do a dye test, but the water needs to be fairly still. Shut the pump down and wait a bit, then drop your hose opposite of the return (at bottom) and let it slowly fill. Drip some dark food coloring near the return entrance, If it's leaking it should be pulled into it. You can do this for any suspected area.

And ya anything can get clogged, it might not be in the clear pipe area though. You could disconnect everything, take apart the filter and use a shop vac to blow in or suck through the pipes. Just make sure things are disconnected so they don't blow off on their own.

My buddy switched from a cartridge to a sand filter in his Intex and he now notices more flow. I don't know anything about these pools, but he was showing me his last weekend. I am wondering if the cartridge systems normally are just harder to move water through with their little pumps? Just an idea.

The leak thing is WEIRD! The amount of water that should be flowing out somewhere would be massive and very noticeable. I would do a dye test, but the water needs to be fairly still. Shut the pump down and wait a bit, then drop your hose opposite of the return (at bottom) and let it slowly fill. Drip some dark food coloring near the return entrance, If it's leaking it should be pulled into it. You can do this for any suspected area.

And ya anything can get clogged, it might not be in the clear pipe area though. You could disconnect everything, take apart the filter and use a shop vac to blow in or suck through the pipes. Just make sure things are disconnected so they don't blow off on their own.

It's definitely not the fault of the filter. Is was working fine, and I also removed the filter entirely as a test, so there was essentially no filter, just extra pipe.

Regarding the leak, I've dropped dye around return, never could find anything. I'm either just going to try to put a big patch around the whole return and recut the hole, or just buy a new liner next year. Such a pain. Only second year on the pool, but I've waisted so much water and time trying to find it. Also, never could get the pool clear, with chemicals, even changed filter type. Now with this flow thing, I'm about ready to give up on the whole thing. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.