Low FC but no CC

Apr 21, 2015
Gainesville, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello everyone. Long time user, first time poster. Random question. I accidently let my pool get down to 2.4 ppm FC. I tested for combined chlorine and got no reaction at all which tells me there is less than .2 ppm CC or more realistically from the test 0. There is no algae, the pool is still crystal clear. Do I have any reason to be worried about letting it get low this one time and if so should I SLAM it to be safe? I did recently add borate so I heard that helps prevent algae as well. While I'm on here, I have heard that if you have 50 ppm of borate you can maintain your FC level at 5% of your CYA levels instead of 7.5%. Is there any truth to that And? And one more question. At what point do you raise your Calcium Hardness? Mine has dropped to 340 which is well within the recommended range but just below the ideal range. When you do raise it, how far up the ideal range do you bring it? Thanks!

Dane

FC 2.4
CC 0
PH 7.6
CYA 50
Borates 50
TA 80
CH 340
CSI -0.07
Temp 82

Welcome to the forum!
Do I have any reason to be worried about letting it get low this one time and if so should I SLAM it to be safe?
No reason to follow the SLAM Process. Water is clear. If FC loss is normal, no issues. Maintain FC based on FC/CYA Levels
Is there any truth to that
Follow the FC/CYA Levels.. Regardless of borates ---
At what point do you raise your Calcium Hardness?
Never. You have a vinyl liner above ground pool. Calcium is not needed for that type of pool.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!

No reason to follow the SLAM Process. Water is clear. If FC loss is normal, no issues. Maintain FC based on FC/CYA Levels

Follow the FC/CYA Levels.. Regardless of borates ---

Never. You have a vinyl liner above ground pool. Calcium is not needed for that type of pool.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thanks for the reply, for some reason my profile hasn't updated that I now have a plaster in ground pool. I have definitely read the ABC's of pool water chemistry and follow the recommendations exactly, which is why my pool has been perfect. This is the best pool site and I am very greatful for the people and resources available because of this site. Thanks again!

Dane

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.