Low CYA, minimal FC burnoff

Firebrand

Apr 20, 2020
Austin, TX
Hi again,

So every time I do the CYA test the resulting water is almost completely clear (and I can see the dot just fine). So I assume I have very low CYA... probably around 20 or so.
According to all I've read on here, my FC should be disappearing within hours in this hot Austin sun. But it's not. I'm losing only about 2ppm of FC per day after a SLAM. Why?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello!

Make sure you are reading your CYA with the sun behind you and your vial at waist level (make sure you're not wearing tinted glasses too). Only glance at the tube to see if you notice the black dot... just a quick glance. Don't stare into the vial too long... just glance at it.

a)You're area...with full sun and if, in fact, you have no or little CYA, I'm not sure if or why you're losing only 2ppm per day. But it's not uncommon. I'll let an expert chime in here shortly.
b) Your not misreading... follow this link to make sure you're within range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.