thisisdon

Aug 17, 2022
Canberra, Australian Capital Territory
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hi, just bought a house with a pool and am now trying to figure out how to look after it.

I bought a good testing kit and did my first test last night.

My results:

FC- 7.5
PH- 7.6
TA- 40
CH - 180
CYA- 25
Salt- 5400

So I need to increase my CYA, but decrease my FC.....am I right in assuming I should let my FC naturally go down and then only add CYA when it's in range?

Thanks for the help,

Don

Welcome to the forum.
Yes. I would gradually raise your cya to 70 ppm for your climate and using a swcg. Your fc is fine. Anything over 5 ppm.

Reactions: Newdude
Geday Don and welcome to the forum.

Given those numbers your CYA is low but your FC is OK, as it warms up you will loose more FC and need to turn your SWG up. I target a FC of 7ppm with a CYA of 70ppm. I would use PoolMath to calculate the amount of CYA to get you to 50ppm, test again, and then go to 70ppm. The CYA test can be tricky.

You TA as listed is low but that doesn’t make sense unless you’ve had a lot of rain recently, I would test that again. Don’t overdo TA, there’s normally plenty in our tap water.

The above is really just a guess based on your numbers. You’ve been a member since August so hopefully you’ve been through Pool School and seen the FC/CYA Levels. We really need more information to offer good advice. Pool type and volume, SWG?, equipment, etc.

What test kit are you using? Good test kits are in short supply in Aus, particularly one with a FAS/DPD for FC. Clear Choice Labs is the best I’ve found.

Reactions: HermanTX and mgtfp
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.