Lots of algae under and behind the ladder...

Hermskii

Jun 13, 2014
TX
I put a new ladder in my above ground pool a few weeks ago. Today I saw some yellow under it in inside of the pool side of the ladder. I moved it over 3 feet and there was a huge perfectly yellow/orange square of algae under it. After kicking at it under water a few times. it turned into a huge cloud and dissipated into the rest of the perfectly clean pool. I keep my FC at a high at the beginning of the day at 7 and it dwindles down to 5 by the time it gets dark outside. I test it each morning and each night. I really wish I had taken a picture but I'm sure I'll be able to in about 2 weeks if I leave the ladder there. That is not an option. Any ideas? Do I slam the pool for mustard algae? Are there pictures around here of what that type of algae actually looks like? Help! Thanks.

FC: 5 - 7
pH: 7.5
TA: 70
CH: 120
Salt: 3,000
Borate: 50
Temp: 88

Hermskii

Jun 13, 2014
TX
Very well. Remind me about the SLAM please. The Trouble Free Pool Math says I need to add 675 oz.s of 8.25% bleach to get my FC up to 42. I ran my SWGs all this morning so I suspect my FC will be around 7 tonight when it starts to get dark. I want to do the slam tonight so the FC will be at a high 42 for a while before the sun starts to eat it away again tomorrow. How long to I have to keep it at 42 or do I just have to hit 42 and that should do it and then I just let it dwindle back down to the target of 5? Any other suggestions/instructions are welcome too. Thanks.

Wobblerlorri

Bronze Supporter
Lower your pH to 7.2. Add the SLAM level of chlorine as indicated by FC/CYA Chart and test at least three times a day to keep it there. I generally test four times a day, once before the sun gets on the pool, about 7ish or so, again about 10 am, then at 2 or 3 pm, then after the sun is off the pool, about 6 for me. That way I have a high FC for overnight, and I do an OCLT when I test in the morning. You're done when you can pass the Three Criteria: overnight FC loss of 1 or less, CC 0.5 or less, and the water is crystal clear. Be sure to brush the pool every time you test.

SLAM Process gives more detail.

Hermskii

Jun 13, 2014
TX
Thank you for that. I was out of town last night so I won't get to do this until tonight. Hopefully my liner won't bleach out. I recall taking my FC up for a slam half as high as this one with my last pool and the liner faded out badly. It looked awful after that.