Lost Tooth While Swimming

Ericinphoenix

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Hello, everyone! Strange question. My father was swimming in my pool and lost a fake tooth. I turned off the pump about two minutes after he lost it. I've looked in the 60-degree water, searching the floor with mask, freezing to death, and found nothing. Any idea of where it might be at this point. The pump is still off. Thanks!

Reactions: Apsuhead

Newdude

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 16, 2019
NY
My father was swimming in my pool and lost a fake tooth. .........................
I've looked in the 60-degree water, searching the floor with mask, freezing to death
Man, they sure don't make them like they USED to. :ROFLMAO:

Its there somewhere. I'd let the cleaner find it. It'll be in the basket eventually.

Reactions: Ericinphoenix

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Problem is the suction side cleaner does not have a basket and will suck the tooth into the sand filter.

Keep looking, it is down there.

Go out in the morning when the water is still and look for it. We don’t know the color of your pool and how well the tooth will contrast and show on the pool floor.

JJ_Tex

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Jul 17, 2019
Prosper, TX (DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Tell him he must have swallowed it and he needs to wait a few days and check the toilet. If it happens to show up in your pool the next day or two, everyone will be happy.

mguzzy

Gold Supporter
Do you have a leaf rake? If so you can take many passes with that... Does your pool have a central drain? If so it would likely get caught in the pump basket.. assuming the tooth is larger than the pump basket grid... Does the suction side sweep have its own pump and basket?

Ericinphoenix

Sep 6, 2020
Arizona
Yes, there is a central drain, the grid of which looks bigger than any tooth. If it did get sucked into the sand filter, what then are my options? Should i run the pump and vacuum? If so, where should i be looking?

PoolGate

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 7, 2017
Damascus, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Yes, there is a central drain, the grid of which looks bigger than any tooth. If it did get sucked into the sand filter, what then are my options? Should i run the pump and vacuum? If so, where should i be looking?

I would think the pump basket would be the next place to look.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

mguzzy

Gold Supporter
I just thought of something not yet mentioned. If you have a sand filter, you should have the ability to vac to waste, yes? I would route out flow to a bucket with a colander. If it has't been sucked up by something else yet, that should work. It might involve a little ad hoc plumbing if the waste line is plumbed to the sewer.. I have seen a lot of waste lines that go to a hose in the garden.... and then you should be safe to reuse the colander.

Dirk

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Nov 12, 2017
Central California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
If another search in the pool is in your future, you might try it at night, with the pool light on. Depending on where the tooth is relative to the light, it might cast a long shadow that would be easier to spot. If you happen to have a waterproof flashlight (or can rig one up with a cheap light and a ziplock bag (squeeze out all the air)), you can search with that at night, holding it very close to the bottom, shining its light parallel to the bottom to make long shadows. I find tiny screws I always manage to drop on the floor like that...

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.