losing water fast over night while running pump

Newpoolboy34

Jun 17, 2020
Indiana
Good morning.. I'm new here but could really use your help the past few daysI notice that I lost huge amounts of water while running my pump over night . I filled it Tuesday morning let it sit all day level good turned pump on around 7 ish and pump was sucking air water level was at skimmer lip so frustrated right now . This just started Sunday..late

Last edited:
Rats. The pic cut-off the filter MPV image. It looks like you have the filter's in & out hoses disconnected at the moment. But I would double check to ensure they were connected to the proper ports. Also, when running last night, any chance water was flowing out of the water line unintentionally? That would be an indication of a bad MPV spider gasket.

You have a fairly simple set-up. If water is not actively leaking from the pool itself, and seems to be leaking only when the pump is on, I would be suspicious about the spider gasket and if water is leaking out to waste when it's not supposed to. But you should see that in the daylight today if it is.

whats a spider gasket??
Like the photo below. It seals the channels/ports in the MPV to ensure water is flowing to the proper direction when the handle is position is changed. When your MPV is set to FILTER, there should be no water flowing out to WASTE. Something to look for. Not sure about your filter make/model, but some MPVs do not have a replaceable spider gasket, so the entire MPV has to be changed. But check for leaks at the waste line first and let us know.

full

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Is the green line on the skimmer face the normal water line?
You lost that much water overnight? (from the line to the skimmer lip)
Does the water level keep going down once it's below the skimmer opening?

I think you were right , I ran water through my skimmer disconnected the waste hose and while on fliter water was coming out of the waste portal so that means I need a new mpv right ? And you know what I had a feeling it was going bad because it was getting difficult to switch from filter to waste or back wash

Like the photo below. It seals the channels/ports in the MPV to ensure water is flowing to the proper direction when the handle is position is changed. When your MPV is set to FILTER, there should be no water flowing out to WASTE. Something to look for. Not sure about your filter make/model, but some MPVs do not have a replaceable spider gasket, so the entire MPV has to be changed. But check for leaks at the waste line first and let us know.

full
This is the problem thank so much for your help now I have tp find a gasket for the SP0714T heyward vari-flo

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.