Losing water fast, no air in system when on. Please help

Chonch12

May 27, 2020
Hello,

We have a 18K gal in ground pool. Basic rectangle. It is gunite.
We are getting ready for closing soon and noticed that we have been losing water much quicker than normal. This started a couple weeks ago. We went through the bucket test, lost 2 more inches in a week.

At first we thought it was only when thr pool was on. We debunked this by filling it on Sat and today it has dropped a significant amount. About 2+inches. This was with cool 60 degree weather and 50s at night.

I found that the filter and pump both lose all of the water in them and I have had a lot of trouble priming the pool the last 2 times I've tried to turn it on. From using a hose and buckets of water directly in. When I dump buckets into the pump I will get big bubbles out the returns. Finally was able to get recirculate running, switched to pump and after a minute or so of bubbles it was running smooth. No air bubbles at all coming out the returns and no air at all in the bucket on the pump.

My guess is an under ground leak. But I am not sure how to find this. But I am most confised that there is no bubbles or air in the line once I get it running. Also forgot to note the filter and pump area are bone dry so no leaks there.

Any suggestions? Thank you!

Welcome to TFP.

Losing 2 inches of water a day is a leak. Losing 2 inches of water a week can be evaporation. Evaporation increases as we get into this months cooler nights.

What temperature was your water when the water level began dropping and what is it now?

I think you should close your pool and see how it goes next season.

Welcome to TFP.

Losing 2 inches of water a day is a leak. Losing 2 inches of water a week can be evaporation. Evaporation increases as we get into this months cooler nights.

What temperature was your water when the water level began dropping and what is it now?

I think you should close your pool and see how it goes next season.

I agree 2 inches in a week isnt bad. I lost 2-2.5 in about 3 days. Also lost about 1-1.5 inches more in the pool compared to the bucket test.

" Evaporation increases as we get into this months cooler nights. " - interesting we did go from mid/high 80s to 60s and 50s at night the last week or so. The water is much colder now. I need a new thermometer for the temp.

I agree we are closing next week and going to see what happens next year. The thing that gets me is all of the water in the filter and pump that is drained when the pool is off overnight. I have to actively work with buckets and buckets of water and the hose to prime it because they are literally empty. This never happened all summer as I had it set on a timer to go on and off without problem. This is the case even with the water level high.

Thank you for the response

The thing that gets me is all of the water in the filter and pump that is drained when the pool is off overnight. I have to actively work with buckets and buckets of water and the hose to prime it because they are literally empty. This never happened all summer as I had it set on a timer to go on and off without problem. This is the case even with the water level high.

This is indicative of a suction side air leak or a broken check valve if you have one. Your plumbing has an air leak and not maintaining pressurization when the pump is off. The air leak let’s air into the pipe and water drains back to the pool.

Do you see air in your pump basket or air bubbles out of the returns?

This is indicative of a suction side air leak or a broken check valve if you have one. Your plumbing has an air leak and not maintaining pressurization when the pump is off. The air leak let’s air into the pipe and water drains back to the pool.

Do you see air in your pump basket or air bubbles out of the returns?

Nope, once I get it primed and running there are no bubbles at all coming from the returns and no air at all in the pump basket. That is why I am so confused by all of this, it can run for hours perfect with no air bubbles. but when it is off the pump basket, filter, and lines all lose the pressure and water in them making it really difficult to prime

Also do not have a Check Valve"

Last edited:
The fact that it's losing prime indicates a leak. The fact that you get 2 more inches lost from the pool than the bucket indicates a leak.

I think you have a leak!
haha Yes but I am very confused that once I get it primed I do not have any bubbles coming from the returns and do not have any air or bubbles in the pump basket... wouldn't a leak have those as well?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.