Losing Prime in pump after 1-2 days

Pfisher

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 22, 2015
Germantown, TN
I have an Intelliflo that runs 24x7. At this point it is at one speed only. Just recently it is losing prime (the pump skimmer basket is 3/4 to 1/2 full. I usually up the speed get it filled back and then put it to the usual setting and then it's good for a few days. I don't know if it's because I'm having to clean all skimmer baskets twice a day due to the junk in the air and pool due to springtime. I have been vigilant about checking everything. Please let me know if I need to check anything else. I haven't done anything new except for replace an existing Polaris with a new Polaris pump. I don't think it's that though. BTW nothing is leaking from examining all pool equipment. Thank you for the help!

It's not unheard of for some VS pumps to see a small water level drop in the pump strainer basket when on low RPMs, therefore owners will manually bump-up (or program) their pump to a higher speed to purge their out of the basket. But you're saying this is more of a significant change and/or lower drop in water level that just started recently huh? Some initial things to consider:
- Have you already checked the pump basket O-ring really well? Re-lubed the O-ring(s) following the more frequent removals?
- Overall pool water level good to the poolside skimmer?
- Skimmer weir flap operating okay?
- Have you already exhausted everything on the Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks page?
Those are just to get started. We'll watch your progress and try to help more if none of these help.

I have the same pump and the same issue of trees dumping truckloads of stuff in the pool. There are times when I could empty the skimmer baskets every 10 minutes and still net out more with the leaf rake. I run at 1100 rpm during the tree times and also build up a little air in the basket. I have never lost prime though, even after running at 1100 rpm 24x7 for months. I have a bottom drain and a 3way valve that mixes the drain and the skimmer. I always leave the valve set for about 20% flow from the drain and 80% from the skimmers so that when the skimmers are clogged full to the lid the pump still pulls water from the drain.

Let's make sure what we're talking about. Losing Prime means the pump is no longer moving water. Air in the basket is not the same thing. You see low water level in the pump strainer, but is there still pressure on the filter gauge? Is water coming out the returns? If you have pressure and the water is moving, you haven't lost prime. Many people report air in the basket on low speed. If you crank it up to high, does the air go away? If so, you haven't lost prime and it's just normal behavior.

Thank you for the info! All good ideas. I have not considered changing the percentage of valves. You are correct the pump is still running but the flow is restricted and water is moving very slow. I think I will set the pump to rev up for a half hour or so a day and see how that works. I really appreciate your input.

As we always say, every pool is different (not just chemically), so dialing-in all of those things is unique to everyone's set-up. If you find later that the water level in the pump's strainer basket is not responding to your adjustments, post back and let us know. Have a nice day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.