losing a lot of fc

jmikeb

Gold Supporter
Aug 4, 2017
stillwater oklahoma
no doubt it’s been hot in central oklahoma and my pool is in full sun, but i lost 7.5 ppm fc in 24 hours. i started with 10 ppm and the next morning measured 2.5 ppm.
i then put it back to 10 fc and closed the auto cover for the day. in the evening i checked fc at 7.5 and then rechecked the next morning at 6.5 fc.
my cya is at 50 currently, water is crystal clear.
i’m not sure what to think. should i raise cya to 60 or 70 ?

No, just risky being a bleach pool and if you forget a day or too and it goes green, it's a pain to slam like that but totally doable.

I believe many people in Texas run 50 and are fine.

Im in Kansas and run 40-50 and lose 2-4, I'm really expecting that you will fail a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, I would take it slowly if you pass and try 60.

You also might double check your cya testing to make sure you are getting a good read and your cya is not low when you think it's high

casey... you were right on about my cya. i had originally tried to set it at 50 after a full water change (tarp method). then i tested it and thought it was around 60 or so. today i kept getting 40 after viewing it several times. i’m currently adding cya now that should bump me up to 50.
thanks
mike

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.