Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Good morning everyone.

I'll try to keep this post short and not get into the weeds of the details.

Currently I use the 5400 pool frog ionizer with chlorine pucks for my pool. Also have a chlorinator installed (per the contractors suggestion at the time of building 2018).

I'd like to attach some pictures of my equipment and see if an SWG is going to work and where i would put it. I would like to try install it myself if i can. I've looked at a bunch of videos and websites to try learn about an install, so i have some knowledge about the process but do have questions.

My initial questions are:
1) where would i install a cell based on what you see in my pictures. i did look at a friends setup and his cell is after the heater, before the return. so i guess where the frog and chlorinator are currently. I would be fine with removing the frog, but i thought keeping the chlorinator would be prudent if i ever needed it (ones thoughts on this would be appreciated).
2) i have read about flow issues and flow sensors with cells. Keeping the cell at a proper height for the return and did read about someone saying the cell should be in a vertical position for best flow. Thoughts?
3) hopefully my signature when i post will list all my pools details, but i have a 34k gallon gunite inground pool. I read that you should factor in 1.5 for capacity on a cell so it doesnt have to work as much and therefore last longer? My friend has a Pentair Intellichlor IC40. Would one recommend the IC60?
4) i have a standard mechanical timer clock people have though i tend to run my pump 24/7 in summer as the heater tends to run sometime in the early morning to maintain 84 degrees. If the heater is running at night does the cell only turn on when it detects a need for chlorine production?

There is power at that panel, so i would imagine screwing in the power panel for a SWG on the back side of it where there is room.

thank you in advance

john

Attachments

• IMG_3352.jpg
    IMG_3352.jpg
    644.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3361.jpg
    IMG_3361.jpg
    660.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_3365.jpg
    IMG_3365.jpg
    742.7 KB · Views: 47
1) where would i install a cell based on what you see in my pictures. i did look at a friends setup and his cell is after the heater, before the return. so i guess where the frog and chlorinator are currently. I would be fine with removing the frog, but i thought keeping the chlorinator would be prudent if i ever needed it (ones thoughts on this would be appreciated).
That is a perfect place and I would remove the chlorinator as well. You can always purchase a floater to hold pucks if you need to do that if needed.

2) i have read about flow issues and flow sensors with cells. Keeping the cell at a proper height for the return and did read about someone saying the cell should be in a vertical position for best flow. Thoughts?
Many people put it vertically when there is not sufficient space. You have plenty of space on the horizontal pipes and should be fine.
3) hopefully my signature when i post will list all my pools details, but i have a 34k gallon gunite inground pool. I read that you should factor in 1.5 for capacity on a cell so it doesnt have to work as much and therefore last longer? My friend has a Pentair Intellichlor IC40. Would one recommend the IC60?
The recommendation is 2x so the IC60 would be better and provide more flexibility on pump run times and percentage output of the SWCG.
4) i have a standard mechanical timer clock people have though i tend to run my pump 24/7 in summer as the heater tends to run sometime in the early morning to maintain 84 degrees. If the heater is running at night does the cell only turn on when it detects a need for chlorine production?
The SWCG is dumb equipment. It only outputs chlorine when the pump is running and at whatever percentage you set it for. It does not measure chlorine in the pool. So you still have to test the pool water. The goal of a SWCG is to replace how much free chlorine (FC) you lose daily due to UV and bather load. The PoolMath app can help you set up your SWCG.

Hello.

As far as things i need to get initially

i need the cell:

and the power box:

my piping is 2.5" external diameter. i assume that means its 2" pipe

Thanks

John

Yes - standard 2" PVC pipe Sch 40 has an OD of 2.40 inches. The couplings are slightly larger so always measure pipe OD.

Hello.

As far as things i need to get initially

i need the cell:

and the power box:

my piping is 2.5" external diameter. i assume that means its 2" pipe

Thanks

John
one other thing - I could not tell if the flow switch and housing come with either of these items. You want to ensure you have a flow switch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.