Chicagoland area, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I have a pressure cleaner currently and it’s 6 years old. I’ve had enough of the leaks at the booster pump and the Polaris knotting itself up, and at this point it seems robots are far superior to pressure cleaners. With so many robots out there I have no idea where to begin to pick one. I’d like it to clean the walls in addition to the floor, and a manual override control could be useful. If it’s a great unit that will last a long time, I’m willing to invest whatever it takes. Thanks for the help everyone!

Thanks guys. Been doing more research and found the Dolphin Active 60 and the Polaris Alpha IQ+. Both look like very good units, wondering if anyone has experience with these two? The IQ+ seems similar to the 9650 IQ

Ryan,
Im at the exact same spot as you. Im ditching my pressure cleaner for a robot. Willing to spend up to $1,600. Want something available in the next month. I'd like it to have fine filters for sand and fine particles. Scrubbing of the floor and waterline is important. Scheduling doesn't matter, I have an automatic pool cover and I wont leave the robot in the pool.

I want the best robot possible, but I don't want something prone to breaking down.
I'll follow this thread with interest.

Reactions: RyanE
Ryan,

i decided to just go an buy a new robot at my local pool store. My brother has been using a Polaris VRX IQ+ that he has been very happy with.
I decided to go to leslies and get the same robot. Expensive but what i liked was the 3 years of maintenance and repairs done at my local pool store rather than shipping it out.
I've run it twice yesterday in my pool and it made a big difference in how clean the floor of the pool is vs my old polaris pressure side cleaner.

I'm very happy with the performance so far.

Reactions: RyanE
Ryan,

i decided to just go an buy a new robot at my local pool store. My brother has been using a Polaris VRX IQ+ that he has been very happy with.
I decided to go to leslies and get the same robot. Expensive but what i liked was the 3 years of maintenance and repairs done at my local pool store rather than shipping it out.
I've run it twice yesterday in my pool and it made a big difference in how clean the floor of the pool is vs my old polaris pressure side cleaner.

I'm very happy with the performance so far.
Great choice! You should be able to get a fine filter basket for that as well. I have both for mine. When the pool has a lot of stuff I start with the regular one and run it again (bottom only) with the fine basket. You will be surprised how much fine silt the fine basket picks up.

Copied myself from another thread. I have owned by a dolphin and now a polaris and both have spent WAY too much time in the shop. Lifetime seems about 3 years with 6 months in the shop over the life of the cleaner. The Dolphin ate power supplies before the cleaner died. The Polaris has had 4 major components replaced and was in the pool for one day before going back to the dealer... Where has been for 4 months. Both did a great job cleaning... They are magical machines... but who makes one that lasts 5 years? Does anyone own a cleaner older than 5 years that hasn't been to the shop?

Copied myself from another thread. I have owned by a dolphin and now a polaris and both have spent WAY too much time in the shop. Lifetime seems about 3 years with 6 months in the shop over the life of the cleaner. The Dolphin ate power supplies before the cleaner died. The Polaris has had 4 major components replaced and was in the pool for one day before going back to the dealer... Where has been for 4 months. Both did a great job cleaning... They are magical machines... but who makes one that lasts 5 years? Does anyone own a cleaner older than 5 years that hasn't been to the shop?

I am on my 5th season with my 9650iq. Never a single issue. I take it out of the water after each use and rinse it off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Good input. Do you remember what model Polaris? I’m surprised to hear about issues with the Dolphin too.

Great choice! You should be able to get a fine filter basket for that as well. I have both for mine. When the pool has a lot of stuff I start with the regular one and run it again (bottom only) with the fine basket. You will be surprised how much fine silt the fine basket picks up.
Thanks! Just ordered!

Last edited:
For what it's worth to others. I've now had the robot for a week. I've done 3 runs with it. I'm impressed how well it works. My pool is sparkling clean, far cleaner than it was with the old Polaris 280 pressure side robot.

I use a little hand held battery vacuum for the steps and the spa. Works great for the areas that the robot doesn't run.

I have an Maytronics active 30 almost a year now. Also bought the cart well worth the money. As for cleaning the pool especially fine dirt can't be beat. Reading about the bots some say they will map your pool as mine says , honestly I think that's BS, Mine is Wi Fi that's neat for just grabbing your phone and starting it especially if you not home. It also has different cleaning moods, Bottom only, Side walls only and a quick mood (1 hour) bottom and Side moods do exactly the same thing :unsure: Ah the cord..... it gets all twisted up the swivel is about worthless. Lifting it out of the pool it has some weight to it when full of water. After all that just looking how clean my pool is they are worth every penny when it wears out I'll buy another less the WiFi not worth the extra money.

Reactions: dsingram
I’ve had my Blue Diamond for 16 years. The thing just wont die. Just replaced the foam brushes this year. Never had it in shop. I’m waiting for it to die before I replace it, but I doubt I’ll ever find another one that has lasted this long.
I do live in Maine, so I only use the pool May- September.

I own an aquabot millenium that we bought in 2000. It just stoped working. We used it once or twice a week for 20 years. I want to purchase a replacement but it looks like no one makes the same quality. Maybe i should get it repaired and stick with it.

Reactions: dsingram
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.