Houma, LA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I have a AGP right now. I'm making plans to install an in-ground. I'm drawn more to fiberglass over gunite.
Issue I think I will have is the slope of my yard. Years ago I had an AGP that was partially in the the ground. On one side it was 18 inches above the ground. On the other side it was approx 3ft out the ground.

In order to keep it high enough, so "if in case" I get water in my backyard, I need to have the new in ground pool about the same height. Only once in 14 years has the water came up high enough to touch that pool.

1. What would be better if I have to have a top elevation 2-3ft above the ground?
2. At what elevation would you feel safe not getting any type of yard water in it?

I know we'll have to get some elevation shots, but I like to narrow down to what type of pool I need to be planning for.

TIA
Chad

Most IG pools are inches above the surrounding yard and the yard drains AWAY from the pool. Are you not able to do that?

I could, somewhat. My yard slopes so much that there is about 18-24" of difference over 40'. So even putting it on the ground on one end will still have the other end above the ground a good bit.
If I did that, I am taking a chance that it "possible" could get some flood water "if" the drainage ditch over flowed as it did in 2011(I think it was then).

Make sense?

It is a cardinal sin to allow your yard run-off into the pool!! :oops: Only bad things come from that.

Perhaps you can reshape that uphill side so the yard slopes away at least 6 inches or more.

Don't use any excess dirt anywhere under your decking but it is fine to use it to build up your yard on the downhill side.

It is a cardinal sin to allow your yard run-off into the pool!! :oops: Only bad things come from that.

Perhaps you can reshape that uphill side so the yard slopes away at least 6 inches or more.

Don't use any excess dirt anywhere under your decking but it is fine to use it to build up your yard on the downhill side.

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure the project is still a ways off, but i need to get an idea of what I should do.

I’m just thinking out loud here, but you could possibly have a retaining wall on the high side of the pool, drop down to the decking, then to the pool. In that decking you could install drainage that diverts any water around to the sides of your pool, then out past it. :unsure:

I’m just thinking out loud here, but you could possibly have a retaining wall on the high side of the pool, drop down to the decking, then to the pool. In that decking you could install drainage that diverts any water around to the sides of your pool, then out past it. :unsure:

San Juan rep mentioned that. I forgot what he called it.
But they still didn't like the glass shell being that high out of the ground. He steered me towards a gunite shell.

If you dug down to the lowest point in your yard so your shell would be level with that part, then did the retaining wall on the high side of your yard, I don’t see any reason (unless it’s a 10ft wall) that it wouldn’t work?
Can you snap some pictures of your yard and slope?

This is the only pic I have right now that can show how much my yard slope. Please excuse the dogs. This was my old round 21x48 that was in the ground. Notice the deck almost on the ground in the near ground a then look at the decking around the pool. to the back.

Edit:About where the dogs are laying, I did have water there come up to there back in 2011 or so, from the drainage ditch that is behind the fence.

Attachments

• 298362_1849939547835_943990312_n.jpg
    298362_1849939547835_943990312_n.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 38
This one is when I put the 18x40 in.
And a photo looking to the back of the yard.

Attachments

• 20130525_182853.jpg
    20130525_182853.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20130928_144052.jpg
    20130928_144052.jpg
    288 KB · Views: 24

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So, looking at those photos, your slope is very minimal. I don’t see any reason you couldn’t have that new pool sitting flush with the lowest side of the yard, and a simple retaining wall built on the higher areas.
I’m no expert in construction, and maybe there’s something I’m missing, (and most likely there is) but I’ll ping a few of the experts around here to weigh in on this. Hang tight.
@bdavis466 @ajw22 @JamesW

So, looking at those photos, your slope is very minimal. I don’t see any reason you couldn’t have that new pool sitting flush with the lowest side of the yard, and a simple retaining wall built on the higher areas.
I’m no expert in construction, and maybe there’s something I’m missing, (and most likely there is) but I’ll ping a few of the experts around here to weigh in on this. Hang tight.
@bdavis466 @ajw22 @JamesW

I'd like it a little higher "just in case".
That said, I think I can do a gunite form about 1 ft higher than the ground at the high end. This would allow a retaining wall to be built 5ft from the pool. Fill the void with limestone, sand or gravel to the height of the pool wall. After that pour the concrete decking around entire pool.
Pool will look elevated but not much on one end and obviously more on the other. I'll have a deck wide enough to walk around, sit and add fencing.

It's hard to explain.

My idea would be something like this.

Attachments

• freeform-pool-with-raised-spa-with-spillover-travertine-decking-with-lighted-steps-and-fire-pit.jpg
    freeform-pool-with-raised-spa-with-spillover-travertine-decking-with-lighted-steps-and-fire-pit.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 29
You could definitely do something like that. Just plan out your drainage areas (think French drains/ dry well) and sloping, and you should be good to go.
Personally I think you’re better off with a gunite shell vs a fiberglass, especially if you have a lot of rain and/or a high water table.

You could definitely do something like that. Just plan out your drainage areas (think French drains/ dry well) and sloping, and you should be good to go.
Personally I think you’re better off with a gunite shell vs a fiberglass, especially if you have a lot of rain and/or a high water table.

Yeah I did think of the drains. I do have a backwash line and gutter run off that runs to the drainage ditch behind the fence. It helps to keep the rain water in the yard to a minimum. All I have to do is dig a whole, tee into the 4in line and tie any drain lines that will come from the pool deck.
I was looking at installing these drains along the perimeter of the finished concrete decking to catch any run off.. Or something like it

Attachments

• drainage.jpg
    drainage.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 6
Yup exactly. You’ll have to plan those types of drains in your decking for proper placement. Your decking will be sloped away from your pool, and then away from the retaining wall area, so it would need to be placed in the “V” so to speak.

Reactions: cmiller73
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.