looking for advice on what brand of AGP to buy.

Paulk

Silver Supporter
Oct 8, 2017
Berkeley, California
Hi, new member here.
I'm looking to install an AGP this winter in No Cal. Remote location, won't have much kid use, probably mostly May to Sept, 2 to 3 times a week. I really don't want to have problems (no one does I know), as I have a lot of other things to do. I'm willing to buy a higher end pool, but if someone thinks some other pool is as good, I'm interested. I'm looking at something like a 30' round. Buster Crabbe seemed good. Doughboy seems very good. Al sounds good, as corrosion is minimal. But resin sounds good too. I will build a deck to be level with the top of the pool all around. I'm looking at round as I'll install this myself, and the ovals are obviously a lot more trouble, (especially the ones that are deep on one end. (a neighbor did his, and he admitted it was a lot of trouble, though his did come out fine.) It seems also that an even depth pool will be easier to clean, which is important to me. Another neighbor and I are going to do this project together. I'm buying the pool, he will handle the maintenance. Hopefully we are both going to get a good deal. I guess it makes sense for me to go either Al slat wall, or Resin. I think, without knowing too much, I'll go past the steel. I see the Buster Crabbe pools in that size and quality in something like $3000+ (on sale) Doughboy I'm sure there are some on sale too, but I don't see them yet. Don't really have any dealers around here other than Leslie, which offers an Aluminum slat wall, but they know virtually nothing about what they are offering. Didn't know the gauge of the liner, didn't even know what slat wall meant. I'll have to order it I'm sure from someone. So besides brands and models, if there is a good outlet that I should call, I'd be pleased to try that too.
SO, if there are some folks that could advise me from their experience, I'm all ears.
pk

I'm going to chime in here. I bought a Buster Crabbe pool and I like the quality of the pool. However, do not call Buster Crabbe direct for anything as they are very ugly to customers on the phone. Because of their attitude, I might consider another brand. So: Buster Crabbe pool = good, interaction with Buster Crabbe factory (family owned) = very bad. Also, I used MGK pool to purchase my pool. Nice folks, but no real support and don't communicate well, return email messages, phone calls very well. Would not recommend them as they are unreliable.

I'm going to chime in here. I bought a Buster Crabbe pool and I like the quality of the pool. However, do not call Buster Crabbe direct for anything as they are very ugly to customers on the phone. Because of their attitude, I might consider another brand. So: Buster Crabbe pool = good, interaction with Buster Crabbe factory (family owned) = very bad. Also, I used MGK pool to purchase my pool. Nice folks, but no real support and don't communicate, return email messages, or phone calls very well. Would not recommend them as they are unreliable.

Thanks Richierich, and Steve in C.
Pool Factory sounds good. That is what I want to hear. I'd like someone that will be responsive. Steve, i've emailed MGK a couple of times, filled out their contact us form, etc. NOTHING! Seems the owner probably knows what he is talking about, though he is a bit negative on a lot of brands, (ok very negative) But he doesn't return any emails. I've also see that they don't have a great record on the phone either. I'm not looking for someone to hold my hand, just to be honest in what they are selling, and respond to questions.
I heard that Buster Crabbe is a good pool. I see also that they don't have a great customer service record as far as being nice to customers on the phone.
Pulling up the Buster Crabbe and Doughboy, a company called "Swimming pool Discounters" comes up first on the internet. They are offering "sale" prices of about 1/2 off "list". The problem with these pools it seems is that they make a lot of models that have a slightly different name so hard to compare...? Anyway, all thoughts are welcome. They list a Buster Crabbe Al, 30' for $3500~. But it isn't a Aquasport 52. Hard to know all the differences isn't it?
If any other thoughts, thanks in advance.

I would look at recdirect.com, (short for recreational direct) they have top quality pools, also discountpoolsdirect.com, that's where I bought mine, it is alum wall, and all resin frame except for the uprights, the pool factory is also good, as they have more choices, but not any with one piece alum. wall. and the other two have lower prices on come. The place I bought form was good on custgomer support, and replaced a missing cover with no questions asked, very good company. Hope this helps you, Step.

I purchased from Pool Factory also. Positive experience and good support. Warehouse packed wrong robotic cleaner for order and they fixed it and threw in a free pool light for my hassle. I am happy with this business!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.