Looking for advice on 400,000BTU gas heater purchase and installation

ejr2001r

Nov 24, 2019
Aldie, Va.
Hello,

We had a pool built last year and we are looking to purchase and install a 400,000 BTU low emissions pool heater for our 40K gallon pool. We have in mind the Pentair Master Temp Pool Heater Natural Gas, 400,000 BTU model. We are wondering if anyone knows the best way to get one, such as should we buy it, have it delivered and then hire someone to install it, or buy one from a company to get it installed? Our main goal is to extend our swimming season this year.

Thanks!

I would call and get some gas line run and installation cost estimates first (gas plumber). I assume you'll have the gas plumber install the heater. When you are talking to them, ask them what they would prefer. They may be able to get it at a discount. And be advised there are huge pool equipment shortages this year due to all the freeze damage last winter. Don't be too shocked by what they are going to want to run the gas line. I got estimate up to $4500 for 70 feet of line.

• Wow
Reactions: markayash
Most installers will add a markup (not a discount) to any equipment they install. Internet prices are roughly what they can buy them for at wholesale so there's really no room to discount further. Make sure you can find someone who will install it for you before you buy one.

I would call and get some gas line run and installation cost estimates first (gas plumber). I assume you'll have the gas plumber install the heater. When you are talking to them, ask them what they would prefer. They may be able to get it at a discount. And be advised there are huge pool equipment shortages this year due to all the freeze damage last winter. Don't be too shocked by what they are going to want to run the gas line. I got estimate up to $4500 for 70 feet of line.
Yeah, we did contact the gas company last year knowing we would be eventually get one installed, and they upgraded the existing meter so that we could add it. I'm still trying to get a hold of an installer but it's been a pretty busy week. Any ball park figure on how much it would cost to run about a 4-5 ft line to the unit? Here is a picture of our equipment area and the meter.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20210703_112457.jpg
    IMG_20210703_112457.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210703_112415.jpg
    IMG_20210703_112415.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20210703_112356.jpg
    IMG_20210703_112356.jpg
    531.5 KB · Views: 17
Oh you are VERY lucky. I don't think the gas plumber can even pretend that is a hard job. But IMO you are still looking at over $1000 if he just comes out and hooks up the line once the heater is placed and everything else is ready. You need to find someone that can install that heater soup to nuts which is probably only going to be a gas plumber. And you may need electric hooked up separately if you are not able to do that yourself. If it was me, I would do everything except the final gas hookup meaning plumbing and electric.

You might have some unique challenges placing the heater. Check the installation instructions for heater clearances from walls and stuff before selecting a heater.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.