Looking at getting a new Pool filter.

EvanG

Jul 12, 2017
Tulare,CA
We are currently in the market for a new pool filter. Just curious about some of the different options out there.

We currently have a DE filter, but its getting very brittle and falling apart. Were not huge fans of the maintenance required for the DE filter, as we live in central California and in a very dusty area.
The local pool supply store is pushing cartridge filters but they dont seem very upfront about any con's to the system.

Im interested in what some opinions are as far as changing out our filter. We would like to avoid a major overhaul of our system involving new booster pumps or other parts. Is going back with a new DE filter going to be our best option for minimal maintenance?

Sand filter will result in you having to backwash a lot more water which messes with your chemsitry, but sand tends to be the easiest to deal with. But, it will be slower at getting fine dust out of the pool.

You have a big pool, how large is your DE filter?

Filter area is 48sqft if that is the size you are asking?

Yeah, that is way too small for a 28k pool in a highly dusty area.
If you go DE, I would suggest either the 72sqft grid or even the 100sqft that uses what look like cartridges from Pentair.
And for a cartridge filter at least a 425 sqft
And for sand at least 31" diameter.

Hey Evan,

Also looking at new filters and was considering a Quad DE filter to replace my sand filter. I have had a few people recommend glass media in sand filters. They say it filters down to DE standards (need to have someone more knowledgeable than me to confirm that) and the maintenance is less than a DE (again - confirm from someone else).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As a pool service guy that does nearly 200 filter cleans a year. I'm a big fan of the QuadDE, and been using Celaperl in the ones on my route. And at this point they are the only ones I want to sell and install for replacement.

Maybe someone here knows, does Pentair have a patent on the cartridge DE filter? Just wondering why other companies are not making them yet.

IMHO The QuadDE is way better than any typical cartridge filter. And easier to clean. And filters much better.

As a pool service guy that does nearly 200 filter cleans a year. I'm a big fan of the QuadDE, and been using Celaperl in the ones on my route. And at this point they are the only ones I want to sell and install for replacement.

Maybe someone here knows, does Pentair have a patent on the cartridge DE filter? Just wondering why other companies are not making them yet.

IMHO The QuadDE is way better than any typical cartridge filter. And easier to clean. And filters much better.

Thanks Parabolic. Great input.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.