Long term pool and spa owner and want to be able to maintain it myself ...

F&RARP

Apr 16, 2019
Kingston, TN
Hello from East Tennessee, near Knoxville and the Smoky Mountains! I have had a pool since 2008 and a hot tub since 2007. I would like to better understand how to maintain them myself. I'm tired of having to rely on others and sometimes be scammed by those trying to sell you something. My pool was originally installed with a SWG. I replace the cell in 2017. When we open our pool in Spring of 2018, the cell and some other piping was leaking. Perhaps from frozen pipes, but I do not think it was an accident. But that is a whole other story. Anyway, we operated it as a chlorine pool last summer. But I was looking into either going back with a SWG or perhaps one of the newer "systems". A local pool place was trying to sell me on a mineral system. That is how I found this forum. I wanted to investigate it before I went with something different. I have been pretty happy with my salt water pool, so I was leery of going with something else. But they made it sound pretty sweet. Sure glad I found this forum. Sounds like I need to stick with the SWG.

bmoreswim

Mod Squad
Gold Supporter
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 16, 2012
Central MD
Welcome to the site! The picture in my office is of the Smokies from Clingmans Dome.

Yes, a SWCG is your best bet, especially since you already have one! Bleach is fine and pucks are acceptable so long as were to understand that they have other chemicals in them that need monitoring and that can get complicated. UV, ozone and mineral systems are not necessary and/or are insufficient and can also create other side effects.

Just a few good links below. The last one is our app which you can use to manage and track your pool. It helps to calculate how much of what you need to add and is a complete tracking system.

Post up any questions in the appropriate sub-forum.

ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
FC/CYA Chart
Pool Math app