Long-lasting SWG available anywhere ?

DefenderB

Gold Supporter
Mar 13, 2012
Caribbean
I have had disappointing results with Pentair SWG's - I have gone through two IC40's and one IC60 in the space of under 6 years with my 18,000 gal pool. Each IC40 lasted 2 years, so I upsized to a 60. It lasted 1.5 years.

My water has a low calcium content, so there never was a problem with excessive build-up within the SWG's.

Are there any other brands available that are longer-lasting ? I don't mind paying more for reliability. What about SWG's designed for larger / public pools ?

D,

Something is wrong somewhere... :scratch:

I have three pools with Pentair IC40's.. I just replaced two of them. One was over 9 years old and the other was over 7 years old.. Both pools are about 12 to 15K gallons.

The one at my house is over 5 years old and is still going strong.

Are you using MA or dry acid to lower your ph?

To directly answer your question, all three of the major brands all last about the same time .. 5 to 7 years.. on average..

Tell us more about how you care for your pool and what chemicals you use.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the reply :):)
I use MA once a week to control ph. Powdered cyanuric acid to maintain 50 - 60 ppm
Pool gets mild use ........... used mainly by adults a few hours per week, so chlorine demand is not high .......

The first two units (40's) just stopped producing chlorine ......... there was NOT an issue with water getting into the keypad (which I had read reports about).
With the IC60 it seems that it developed an internal electrical short and blew the little fuse in the transformer box. But the sudden electrical surge was so strong that the fuse contacts melted and could not be removed from its receptacle.

Hey Defended !!! With multiple electronic failures I’d be looking less at them and more at your electrical system. Bad neutrals, circuit breakers, power surges, protection against lightning strikes, etc. if you got one dud, ok, maybe it was just a dud, but the second one would work like it should statistically speaking.

I would look into the why before I sacrificed another pricey unit of any brand.

Reactions: borjis and Leebo
Hey Defended !!! With multiple electronic failures I’d be looking less at them and more at your electrical system. Bad neutrals, circuit breakers, power surges, protection against lightning strikes, etc. if you got one dud, ok, maybe it was just a dud, but the second one would work like it should statistically speaking.

I too would echo this as something seems odd. I understand one unit failing, but three sounds odd. Some time searching the root cause of the failure may save you some serious cash.

The first two units (40's) just stopped producing chlorine
How did you verify that the cells were not producing chlorine?

The cells were probably fine.

Are you replacing just the cell or the cell and power supply?
With the IC60 it seems that it developed an internal electrical short and blew the little fuse in the transformer box.
So you replaced what?

If the fuse was bad, you don't need a new cell or entire power supply.

Are you doing everything yourself or do you have service people who are telling you that you need new equipment?

Seems like the system should have been under warranty for at least some of the problems.

Most likely the problem is not with the equipment.

Most likely, there is an onsite problem like chemistry or electrical problems or the local service people are not doing a professional job (incompetent or dishonest).

What does Pentair have to say?

Last edited:

Thanks, yes it would make sense to check the electricals.

Reactions: Newdude

The cells were probably fine. With the first two units I had to keep raising the output on the keypad to maintain FC level at 4 -5 ppm, and eventually the FC dropped off completely (not caused by higher demand). The 3rd unit just went totally dead.

Are you replacing just the cell or the cell and power supply?

So you replaced what? I haven't replaced anything yet - I'm using liquid chlorine at present.

If the fuse was bad, you don't need a new cell or entire power supply. The fuse receptacle in the power unit was melted down, so the power unit is not usable.

Are you doing everything yourself or do you have service people who are telling you that you need new equipment? Long story short: I live on a smallish island in the Caribbean - competent equipment suppliers and "pool guys" are hard to find. So with the help of TFP I have been doing everything myself (electric installation excepted).

Seems like the system should have been under warranty for at least some of the problems. I bought my 1st SWG from a supplier who offered a maximum 6 month warranty which unfortunately is standard practice here. I soon realised that the supplier did not know much about the equipment he was selling. The next 2 units I bought from Amazon. USA warranties are not practical in the south Caribbean .......... to claim on the warranty I would have to ship the faulty unit back to the USA.

Most likely the problem is not with the equipment.

Most likely, there is an onsite problem like chemistry or electrical problems or the local service people are not doing a professional job (incompetent or dishonest). Prior to this thread I had not thought to check the electricals, but I will definitely investigate.

What does Pentair have to say? I have not contacted Pentair. I had seen some reviews indicating that Pentair SWG's had been failing in under 2 years, so I assumed their SWG's were just a bad product. But the responses received on this thread indicate otherwise, and I am grateful for the different perspective. I will get the electricals checked and update you guys. Thanks again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With the first two units I had to keep raising the output on the keypad to maintain FC level at 4 -5 ppm, and eventually the FC dropped off completely (not caused by higher demand).

If all of the cell lights were good, then the cell was probably fine.

Was the cell light green?

Was the cell ever scaled?

1531313415477.jpg

I haven't replaced anything yet.

You say that you have replaced 2 units already.

What was replaced?

The fuse receptacle in the power unit was melted down, so the power unit is not usable.

Do you have pictures of the issue?

The 3rd unit just went totally dead.

If the power unit is dead, the cell will not receive any power.

to claim on the warranty I would have to ship the faulty unit back to the USA.

Ok, so ship it back.

Why can't you ship the cell back to Pentair or wherever?

Here is the warranty information.

You have two years on a cell.

Ecommerce (EC) products
: Products purchased from an Authorized Pentair Online Reseller (products beginning with EC-) receive a one (1) year (parts only) warranty from the date of purchase.

The exceptions are: IntelliChlor cells and IntelliFlo SVRS pumps which receive a two (2) year warranty.

EC products are not eligible for the bundled three (3) year extended warranty.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.