Logistic question, how far/long of a run of pipe should be between the pool pump and the filter

Oct 14, 2015
Dallas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-60 Plus
This is more of a "what is the answer/fact" question.

So I am going to replace my pool filter with a cartridge filter (TY for that recommendation also). I have space next to my pump (its perfect pool filter size space), but I don't believe there will be a very long run from my pool pump to that filter.

How long should the pipe be between the pump and filter (1 foot, 3 feet, etc). My current pool setup has about a 5 to 7 foot run of pipe (2 curves) from it to the pool pump. Should I be looking to replicate that, or does it even matter? I ask because I'd like to compact the space a bit, get rid of a bunch of excess pipe, and put a little storage rack up in place of where the current pool filter is. I will have enough room to breakdown the filter in its new place.

I can't think of an instance where it makes any difference......efficiency wise.

I would suggest making sure you have enough room so both filter and pump can be worked on if necessary but that would be the only restriction.

P,

I agree with Dave... Just keep in mind where the filter drain plug is and make sure you can get to it... Also, when you take the drain plug out, the water needs a place to go beside right into your pump motor.

I have to be in the shape of a pretzel to get to mine.. :)

One thing that mine does not have is a Jandy valve between the pump and the filter.. This means when I take the pump lid off, water will drain out of the filter and into the pump. This is one thing I plan to add to mine, if I can ever get around to it..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Well my plan is to put a jandy valve before or just after the pool filter so I can dump water from the pool when needed.

Come to think of it, I will put the valve after the filter. Whenever I aim to clean it, shut off pump, take off cover, shift valve to the drain pipe. System should pretty much start clearing itself out.

But yes I agree with picking a position which I won't be a pretzel. Thank you for the advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.