Little orange spots all over my steps -- help!

dmanb2b

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2009
NY
Have you tried rubbing the affected area with a trichlor tab? Perhaps it's organic

singerteacher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
western Wisconsin
I don't have any trichlor tabs. Maybe if I pour HTH Chlorine over them and brush, I'll be able to tell if it's organic? I haven't shocked in a month or so, because my FC is always 5 and my CC is always 0. I could also try shocking too, I suppose!

dmanb2b

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 4, 2009
NY
Before spending $ on shocking, you could just pick up a tab at walmart or local HW store :goodjob: ...although liquid chlorine poured down a pipe to localize it to that area may due the trick. What is your CYA level?

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
I'd spend $2 on a single trichlor puck before I tried shocking. Once you're done with the puck you can use it in an old floater if you have one, or the skimmer. Just be sure to leave the pump running till it's gone if you do that.

singerteacher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
western Wisconsin
Okay, I tried scraping the spots with a trichlor puck, and with TONS of scrubbing, they do come off. The issue now is that the spots have multiplied over the winter (I probably have 100 spots now), and scrubbing each little spot with a trichlor puck at 2-3 minutes each is going to take me all summer. Any other abrasives I could safely use on fiberglass pool steps? (There are no spots on the sides/bottom, thankfully.) Is a copper scouring pad okay? What about a pressure washer? Thanks for the ideas!

singerteacher

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2008
western Wisconsin
Forgot to mention that my CYA level is very low. Not sure if that's part of the spotting problem, but at least using a trichlor puck shouldn't cause any CYA issues. I need to have my water tested for iron/copper. Will post results.

Other Threads of Interest