Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
How long do you run your pump each day?
If you have a short run time the LQ might not provide enough FC for a pool that size. Or the time between fills might be short. Just something to think about.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
Well, here's the math. If you run the LQ at 5cc/min for 12 hours that equates to about 121oz of 6% chlorine per day which in turn, equates to about 2.3ppm per day of FC in a 25,000 gallon pool. That's very possible to do but it doesn't give you much leeway.

You'd also be filling the LQ every 8 days or so.

If you always use 12.5% it would give you more leeway and longer time between fills.

With a pool that size I'd take a hard look at a peristaltic pump and tank system. You can get them up to 30 gallons and whatever flow rate you need to maintain the FC.

Don't get me wrong, I love my LQ but I don't want to recommend something borderline which in your case I think it would be. You could however, buy two LQ's for less than a tank and pump system and run them parallel if one wasn't quite enough at times. Just food for thought.

DWSPool

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2010
Southern Indiana
Hey Bama: is the LQ 5cc/min rate the maximum for a 1.5 HP pump? Using 12% seems like a good option. If one could get a greater feed rate than 5 cc/min, and even if the LQ had to be filled every 4 days that may be worth it, in my opinion - especially if peristaltic/storage tank system is more than double the cost of a LQ.

G

My pool is 24,000 gallons, and I have switched to 12.5% (I find it is cheaper than buying the 6% :shock: ). I'm holding 4-5 ppm with the flow valve cracked about 2/3 the way open (I have removed my flow meter, since I check my FC daily and don't really need to know where my flow is), and I have the 3/8 upgrade. I add 1 gallon of chlorine about every 4 days to keep things where I want it under current conditions (we haven't really gotten the heat yet, so the days are in the 80's, and my water is at 84 degrees).

I think that pools in the 30,000 gallon and up range would probably not be good LQ candidates, but I have no troubles keeping mine supplied (and my pool is 100' away from my equipment, for whatever that is worth!).

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
The LQ's flow meter only reads to 5cc/min so that's the reason for that number. I can get 5+ on my meter so it's possible to get more than the max flow shown on the meter. If you use 12.5% as Bruce does you'll be able to get plenty of flow and it'll last a couple of weeks between fills. Removing the flow meter will actually help the flow because it removes some restriction.

A pump and tank system is going to cost about 3 times as much as an LQ.

G

Terry, Hasapool is offering $25 off their Liquidator until 10/31/2010!