Liquidator: in-line debris filter/screen

jwfrank

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 14, 2008
Todi, Umbria, Italy
For some reason, when I installed the LQ a year ago, I installed the water in-take line (pressure) in the pump outflow and before filter. (I believe I read that would increase pressure)

Because the water isnt filtered, I sometimes get small debris that pass through the pump filter, and are getting trapped in the float valve of water arriving into LQ. Twice, the float valve hasnt been able to close and the LQ has over flowed

Does anyone have a part number for a small in line filter or debris screen that would catch the very small debris?

I have made the 3/8" upgrade. (Last year before the upgrade, this overflow never happened - but i dont think there is a correlation)

I used this one from an old Polaris dichlor feeder (see picture). I had a lot of very hard WS on mine tonight (ironically) and put the screen inside in some MA to clean it (looks like new now!). All of the WS would have ended up in my check valves and flow meter (I have the 3/8" upgrade also) before, and it is working just fine. As a note, I have never had mine overflow, as it is not below grade (we do have a few LQ's on vanishing edge pools with the upgrades that are below grade and have not overflowed either).

I can see if I can get you a part number if you like. I'm not sure if they are sold separately or not though.

Attachments

• LQ Filter 001.JPG
    LQ Filter 001.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 124
While you are correct about placement between the pump and filter will provide more pressure, there is no need for more pressure on the inlet side of the LQ. Even at 5cc/min (flow meter maxed out) a few inches of pressure on LQ inlet side will provide enough flow to keep the LQ full. Negative head pressure at the LQ outlet side is the critical parameter. You need enough negative head to get a flow of 5cc/min through the flow meter.

By adding a filter to the LQ inlet you're doing basically the same thing as putting the LQ inlet on the clean side of the main filter.

Thanks to u both.

Bama Rambler: I certainly should have placed the intake line AFTER the filter. I have an option to close the hole I have made where it is now, in the pipe leading TO teh filter and drill a second hole in the elbow AFTER the filter.

My elbow (the only place available) is exactly like the one in the picture Simicrintz posted above

QUESTION: is it okay to drill into the elbow? If so, i suspect the hole should be made not at the angle but just before it where there are two layers of PVC

Simicrintz, I would appreciate a part number if possible. What you have is what I have been looking for, should I not drill a second hole in PVC. Many thanks

(BTW, the reason for LQ overflowing is not its location to the pool. Its just that the valve is stuck open with a piece of debris.)

Bruce and Dave, what material is the screen on the strainer you use? Is it metal or plastic? I have found a seemingly fine strainer but the seller is recommending stainless steel over Polypropylene. (http://www.vacmotion.com/In-Line%20Strainers.htm)

While the water flowing FROM the pump isnt a high chlorine content, I am still nervous about inserting any metal in the process

Maybe I shouldn't be

Thanks

Mine is a metal mesh (maybe stainless, I would guess). It came with the dichlor feeder, which I had installed for about 2 years (and back about 6 years ago!). It looks like brand new still, but I'll have to watch it and see how it does in this application!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.