Liquid Stabilizer Does Not Dissolve/CYA

Mendy48

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2018
Midland, MI
Sine I don’t feel like sweeping up granules from the floor of my pool, I stopped using granules stabilizers and switched to liquid stabilizers. However, I’ve noticed that small granules still remain at the bottoms of my pool using the liquid stabilizer. Here’s (below) a picture of how it looks after I sweep up the corners of my pool.
Is there really any point in using liquid stabilizers if granules still float to the bottom of the pool? I mean, the pic was much worse until I swept the corners of my pool. Will these granules eventually dissolve? The temp of my pool is at 89F.

image.jpg

It will dissolve. Just give it time.

Next time add it to the skimmer. It’s ok to add liquid stabilizer to the skimmer with the pump running as long as you don’t plan to backwash your sand filter for a few days.

Yeah! You’re right. It finally dissolved on its own. Just went outside to check.

So putting it in the skimmer is okay? I’ll try doing that next time. I just wasn’t sure if putting/adding the liquid stabilizer to the skimmer would ruin the sand filter by any chance.

It’s fine. Just add it slowly and make sure the pump is running. You don’t want to add powder to the skimmer because it can potentially cause a clog in large quantities but liquid is ok. It won’t hurt the sand filter at all.

Reactions: Mendy48
Liquid stabilizer did absolutely NOTHING for me! I even tried it twice! See my post about it!
How so? Where’s the link to your post? LS is supposed to work fine. I’ve used it before. The only problem I have is that it’s too expensive and it doesn’t dissolve as fast as I want it to. However, I’ll try adding it to skimmer next time and see how that works.

How so? Where’s the link to your post? LS is supposed to work fine. I’ve used it before. The only problem I have is that it’s too expensive and it doesn’t dissolve as fast as I want it to. However, I’ll try adding it to skimmer next time and see how that works.
I guess it’s a YMMV type product. I tried it twice and it did absolutely nothing. Bad batch maybe? Here is my post about it:

I'm sure someone here will explain why it's a bad idea, but here's what I've done in the rare instances when the CYA got too low. I put trichlor pucks in a floater as my chlorinator for a few days, then check again. Then I either switch back to liquid chlorine or run the floating pucks longer. So far when I've done this it has worked. I check chlorine and pH every day anyway, so if the pucks don't keep up, I supplement with liquid. No granules on the bottom of the pool. No squeezing a sock in a skimmer basket.

I guess it’s a YMMV type product. I tried it twice and it did absolutely nothing. Bad batch maybe? Here is my post about it:
Yeah! Just read your past posts, I got the same brand. It actually worked for me. I poured my LS near the return jets, and swept around the parameters to disolve the remaining granules that were on the floor of my pool. I then let them dissolve completely and allowed the pool to mix thoughtless. The next afternoon, my CYA went up 10 points.

I really don’t like the sock method because I get the same results using the LS, but without squeezing the sock. And the time for me to dissolve the LS is less than the sock method. The only way that I would go back to getting granules stabilizer is based on cost. I don’t like the LS being so expensive. So that’s the only thing keeping me away from potentially staying with LS.

I'm sure someone here will explain why it's a bad idea, but here's what I've done in the rare instances when the CYA got too low. I put trichlor pucks in a floater as my chlorinator for a few days, then check again. Then I either switch back to liquid chlorine or run the floating pucks longer. So far when I've done this it has worked. I check chlorine and pH every day anyway, so if the pucks don't keep up, I supplement with liquid. No granules on the bottom of the pool. No squeezing a sock in a skimmer basket.

If you have the pucks lying around, I think that is a great idea if conditions allow for the time it takes to get CYA with pucks.

Reactions: Mendy48

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So I used the LS again.....needed to increase my CYA due to the heat wave we r having in MI. I was shaking the bottle to make sure it was mixed. Come to fine out that (after adding my first 32 ounces Of LS in the pool), the bottom of the LS was so thick that I realized that I didn’t mix it well. LOL. I will have to use some kind of method of mixing the next time I use tLS. I’m going to check my reading now to see what my CYA is.

Once I get down to the end of the bottle, I fill it halfway back up with pool water, give the bottle a good shake, and then continue to pour it around the pool. As I get to the bottom again, I fill it up with water, give it a good shake again. It usually take a few times for the water to come out of the bottle clear and then I know I've gotten it all. Of course, this works if you're adding the whole bottle but not so much if you just need a little bit.

Once I get down to the end of the bottle, I fill it halfway back up with pool water, give the bottle a good shake, and then continue to pour it around the pool. As I get to the bottom again, I fill it up with water, give it a good shake again. It usually take a few times for the water to come out of the bottle clear and then I know I've gotten it all. Of course, this works if you're adding the whole bottle but not so much if you just need a little bit.
👍 yeah I just did that today. I was pouring the LS and realized how THICK it was so I added enough water on in it and I start shaking it really hard, and then I poured. I hope this works.

Yeah! I emailed the seller and complained about a bad batch. Then I poured water into the bottle and mixed it very well. I then used the same jug to increase my CYA again and it worked.
I guess the goal here is to add water to the jug (that’s not filled to the top already).

So that’s what I’m going to do from here on out when it comes to adding LS to the pool.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Yeah! I emailed the seller and complained about a bad batch. Then I poured water into the bottle and mixed it very well. I then used the same jug to increase my CYA again and it worked.
I guess the goal here is to add water to the jug (that’s not filled to the top already).

So that’s what I’m going to do from here on out when it comes to adding LS to the pool.
How much water did you add?

For anybody who might want to try my way, I don’t bother squeezing the sock for a full day. Just let it soak. it’s usually not an emergency rush to raise the CYA, and it’s going to take a day or two to distribute anyway, more if it gets stuck in the filter.

I toss mine in and come back the next day. It is mush by then and squeezes out in 2 minutes or less

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.