Liquid Chlorine OR Bleach

Aug 24, 2016
HICKSVILLE, NY
Last year I stopped using pool-store chlorine tabs and switched over to the BBB Method. I was pouring bleach directly into the pool. After ruining two pairs of shoes (bleach splash-up), I decided to get a Stenner Pump. I had intended to fill the Stenner tank with 8.25% Bleach, but would Liquid Chlorine be a better alternative?

Also, if I used Liquid Chlorine then changed my mind, would it be dangerous to pour bleach into a tank that had been used with Chlorine?

Tom,

Other than the percentage, Bleach is Liquid Chlorine.. Around here Bleach is normally 8.25% and Liquid Chlorine is 12%

They are the same chemical, so mixing them is not an issue.

Jim R.

Tom,

By "chlorinator" if you mean the 3" Tablet feeder, then you do not want to put Liquid Bleach or Liquid Chlorine into them. They are made for tablets, not liquids..

You generally pour any liquid directly into the pool, usually in front of a running pool return..

Jim R.

Since you already have the stenner pump, you can definitely use any strength of liquid chlorine (either bleach or higher concentration liquid); you'll just have to adjust the injection time as needed (for example, if you use 12.5% chlorine, you'd inject for 66% of the time you do for 8.25%.

However, the comment about ruined shoes leads to the comment Jim mentions above -- you generally don't need to walk around the pool splashing liquids (chlorine, acid, or anything else) all around. We recommend getting down in front of a return, putting the jug down almost partly in the water, and pouring slowly in front of the return stream. Should eliminate any splashing or spilling and distributes better that way too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.