Liquid Chlorine is so much work!

Danylukburton

Jul 17, 2020
MA
Hi All,
I just have a small 1000 gallon intex pool for my 3 kids. I didn't know anything and was using 3" triclor pucks. I used almost 2 total and shocked my pool with diclor 3 times. Now my cya is somewhere between 50-60 - in just 3 weeks!!! To add insult to injury my test strip never registered any CYA, and then I got a Taylor 2005 kit and got the real result.
I've been using liquid chlorine for 2 weeks and honestly just feel like its so much work! Do you all think i could just switch to the tiny 1 inch tablets for the next 6 weeks or so and be okay? Obviously I don't want to add more CYA, but I also want to relax.
Thanks so much for your help!!

What work are you doing? I use liquid chlorine and spend 2-3 minutes a day on the pool. Almost none of that changes when I use tablets for an occasional CYA bump. Testing, filter cleaning, vacuuming, none of this is affected by the form of chlorine used. And a 1000 gallon pool should only be consuming about a cup of chlorine a day, if yours is needing more then you have problems that will only get worse with additional CYA.

Thanks for the feedback. I realize the small tablets have cya in them too but I was wondering if it'd be a small enough amount to not do any further harm. I found throwing the floater in after my kids finished swimming to be much simpler and less stressful than measuring and pouring hazardous materials.
I am on a low yield well so draining and refilling every 3 weeks is not feasible as I will either run my well dry or burn out my well pump.
So I will carry on with the liquid chlorine.

I'm not sure what work you're referring to either besides needed to add liquid chlorine daily. Even with daily chlorine testing it took me roughly 5 minutes each evening. It's a chore, no different than any other chore around the house. But, besides taking the trash out, I can't think of any other chores that take 5 minutes or less to do.

Reactions: borjis and Donldson
If your water availability is tight then you have no choice but to step up and maintain your water balance and follow a sound sanitation program. Develop a routine and stick with it, it's all a part of the trade off.
If you continue to raise your CYA then you will be draining the pool soon.

I found throwing the floater in after my kids finished swimming to be much simpler and less stressful than measuring and pouring hazardous materials.

Speaking of hazardous materials, do you also stress out when handling batteries, ammonia based cleaning products, all purpose cleaners, fertilizers, drain cleaners, aerosol products, gasoline, motor oil, etc? These are all hazardous materials. Bleach is no different.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Speaking of hazardous materials, do you also stress out when handling batteries, ammonia based cleaning products, all purpose cleaners, fertilizers, drain cleaners, aerosol products, gasoline, motor oil, etc? These are all hazardous materials. Bleach is no different.
Actually I do stress over all those things! LOL. I think I need to chill out and not over think it. Adding a cup of chlorine a day and testing isn't so bad. Thanks for the reality check everyone!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.