Liquid Chlorine hard to find - other suggestions?

kathy58

Bronze Supporter
Jul 22, 2019
southern maryland
I am testing our water daily, and adding liquid chlorine, and our water has been crystal clear since opening in early May - this is the longest we have gone with such sparkling water - thank you for the education! We used the tablets in the past and paid the price with high cya (90+). Before re-opening this year, we drained part of the pool and are on track with a cya of 50, only to find that liquid chlorine is impossible to find in the stores now! I really don't want to go back to the tablets and undo the results we have achieved. I have 2 gallons left and have been using between 35oz - 53oz per day to compensate for the loss of approx 1.5 to 2.0ppm fc each day. I thought it would last longer, but from what I've read here, this amount of loss each day seems reasonable in sunlight. Any other suggestions on what to use? I've only got a couple of days left on hand. Suggestions appreciated!

The scarcity of liquid chlorine is surprising me!
Most hardware stores, walmarts and pool stores... are stocking their LIQUID Pool Shock (10% or 12.5% sodium hypochlorite), plain household bleach is 6% sodium hypochlorite. Just adjust the strength in the app :) Hope you find a good source!

Check out a place called Ollies Bargain Outlet. They have been reported to have liquid chlorine.

I had given up in the Maryland suburbs (my former source being Home Depot). Last night I checked ACE Hardware, and most of the stores in this area were expecting HTH 10% liquid chlorine in today or tomorrow. I just got back from a slightly far-flung store (Edgewater, MD) with 4 cases of 4 gallons each. I was prepared to pay $5.99/ gallon (double my usual), but they charged me $4/gallon? Sale? Bulk discount? ACE card, ... don't know, but I'll take it!

I had gone ahead and started with tri-chlor and a floater, but I will switch back to TFP style after it stops raining in 5 days. Too cold to swim anyway.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.