Liquid Chlorine from Pinch-a-Penny

CarolD

Jul 21, 2018
Richmond, TX
I am having a difficult time getting liquid chlorine in Houston this summer. I am guessing supply chain problems with COVID-19. Anyway, my go to source has always been Home Depot, which typically has plentiful amounts of very fresh, 10% LC. Except this summer. We have a newly opened Pinch-a-Penny nearby, and they have 10.5% LC stored in a large tank behind the shop. The price is pretty equivalent, after you pay approx $15 for the refillable storage container. My question is...how potent is that LC coming out of a tank sitting in the hot Houston sun? This is a new store, so I have no idea how often that tank gets filled. Is there any temperature protection built into a large storage tank like these stores have? Or is it just the same as me storing a one gallon jug outside in 95 degree heat? (I don't do that, BTW.)

I talked to the manager at the PaP in Katy. He told me they need to refill LC to their tank weekly. He feels it is very fresh. Also, on the jug they state 10.5% sodium hypochlorite but also state 10% available chlorine. I asked this question on the forum a couple of weeks ago and it was suggested to use 10% in the calculations on pool math app.
Also, for clarity the storage container was around $7.50 as you received a full 2.5gals of LC with it for total of $15. To refill it is about $7.50 for 2.5 gals. I have been using it for several weeks now and getting good results on my "actual test" vs. the "effects of adding" so I would say we are getting close to 10% true chlorine.

Reactions: Mcaruso9876
My Ace Hardware also has the large, outside container. It is sold as 11% but found it to be "hotter" than than when I dose so I tested it when I picked up a VERY fresh batch that had just come in. It tested at 15%!! They go though a tank in just under a week so it is almost always fresh and hot!

My Ace Hardware also has the large, outside container. It is sold as 11% but found it to be "hotter" than than when I dose so I tested it when I picked up a VERY fresh batch that had just come in. It tested at 15%!! They go though a tank in just under a week so it is almost always fresh and hot!
Just curious - do you dilute your LC with fresh water before testing or do you just straight up test it as you would pool water?

Also, if bleach is at 10% ( Sodium hypochlorite) and the remaining 90% is other - all I have been able to find is that other ingredients is "water". Is this accurate or what else is in it?

Also, if bleach is at 10% ( Sodium hypochlorite) and the remaining 90% is other - all I have been able to find is that other ingredients is "water". Is this accurate or what else is in it?

Water, salt, and a small amount of lye.

1 ppm chlorine added by sodium hypochlorite adds 1.64 ppm salt.

Last edited:
Reactions: HermanTX
I had found a way to test "straight" chlorine BUT of course cannot find it again :roll: It used a 5 gal bucket and 0 chlorine water. I am on a well so my water is 0 chlorine. Some city water has chlorine in it so keep that in mind if you happen to find the thread that has the way to test the strength of the chlorine. Here is one thread but it is not the "easy" way I had found: Commercial bleach: testing concentration

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.