"liner" under the pool

mac1911

Bronze Supporter
Jul 31, 2019
plymouth
I have been using sand under my UG pool Intex/summer waves for several years. last year I up sized to a 16' round. I felt like it was hard to get the liner smooth over the sand. Is and what ground liner could I use for a smoother bottom and added protection.

My pool sprung a leak this season and washed away a "hole" under the liner which looks like caused a larger "tear" in the liner. I lost water below the skimmer and burnt out the pump before we noticed the problem. ( we where running the pump 24/7 trying to clear up the water....any how

What ground liner would be good?

Last edited:
Welcome to THE place for good, sound pool advice! Lots of people put foam board or those "puzzle piece" interlocking floor mat pads under their pools. Do a little search, there are any number of posts about the topic.

And for clearing your pool, do read the pool school articles, think about getting a good test kit and learn to have the cleanest, safest, (and easiest!) sparkling pool water without extraneous and overpriced miracle junk dumped into your pool sold to you by pool stores.

Last edited:
We didn't do sand this time, but did do two tarps over the sifted (for rocks) dirt that had been meticulously leveled.

When you fill, get in and start spreading out the bottom of the liner as soon as you can. If you get even 1" of water, it's nearly impossible to get wrinkles out. Get on your hands and knees and push any wrinkles from the center towards the edges.

Foam boards are popular as well, as noted above. Permanent (or semi) ABGs always have a foam board pad underneath. I've never found need to go that far with my Intex types though. YMMV.

Consider your dead pump a good omen... those things aren't very good. Invest in a 14" or 16" 2600gph (or better) sand filter and pump combo for next year. You won't regret it. Check for sales over the winter. I saw a 3000gph combo for $189 on Amazon less than a week ago.

Flex seal tape may work with your liner tear to patch it. Just make sure to patch from the inside, and make sure the patch is much larger than your tear. Inches larger... Might want to double up on the outside too.

Reactions: mac1911
We didn't do sand this time, but did do two tarps over the sifted (for rocks) dirt that had been meticulously leveled.

When you fill, get in and start spreading out the bottom of the liner as soon as you can. If you get even 1" of water, it's nearly impossible to get wrinkles out. Get on your hands and knees and push any wrinkles from the center towards the edges.

Foam boards are popular as well, as noted above. Permanent (or semi) ABGs always have a foam board pad underneath. I've never found need to go that far with my Intex types though. YMMV.

Consider your dead pump a good omen... those things aren't very good. Invest in a 14" or 16" 2600gph (or better) sand filter and pump combo for next year. You won't regret it. Check for sales over the winter. I saw a 3000gph combo for $189 on Amazon less than a week ago.

Flex seal tape may work with your liner tear to patch it. Just make sure to patch from the inside, and make sure the patch is much larger than your tear. Inches larger... Might want to double up on the outside too.
my neighbor donated his old pump but I wasted alot of time trying to find the correct adapters. I ended up just draping the hoses over the side for.
i hope this year I get the chems right and get through with out a heavy algae bloom!
Still looking/deciding what to put under pool if anything.

I put foam under mine this year. I had sand last year and foam the year before. I like the foam pad because the floor was smoother than with the sand. It's also cushioned a bit. With an intex pool, you can just put a tarp under it if you want.
Be sure and read through pool school, and you'll have a clean and clear pool all summer!
As far as the connections: I upgraded my filter/pump, so I cut the return and inlet holes in my pool to fit the new hoses and connections. (lots of posts on this topic) Other people buy the adapters so you can connect the larger hoses to the smaller intex openings. (lots of posts on this as well, with photos of what you need)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.