Liner maintenance vs Gunite?

Carnut12

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 2, 2013
Forsyth, GA
Hey everyone, we absolutely love our pool/backyard, but we will be handing it over to the new home owners that bought our home. We bought liner because we live in Western MA and we were nervous about gunite, that and we really liked the PB that did our vinyl.

We are moving to GA and I’m thinking I will get gunite more then likely with pebble sheen. Our current pool is so easy to take care of, I get the chemicals right when it’s opened and run the dolphin robot a few times a week and honestly that’s about it. I’ve never vacuumed it manually in 6 years, I brushed the walls like once or maybe twice a year. As far as chemicals go as soon as I figured out the right settings for the SWG I rarely did anything. Some years I would have to add or drain water based on rainfall but some years I didn’t even have to do that.

My question is will Gunite be close to this easy?

Thank you!!!

A gunite pebble pool will likely require brushing and more frequent acid to lower pH. The GA environment is different then MA and your pool may require a bit more attention.

Enjoy the new digs.

I was in your shoes about 2 years ago where I had to sell my pool (and the house as well) and move.

Installing a gunite pool does come with manual and chemical maintenance duties. The gunite takes time to cure and needs to be brushed and you’ll be adding acid to combat pH rise.
Once the plaster is set, it won’t be too much different. Also you’ll need to monitor CSI to make sure it’s in range. That’s something that vinyl pools typically cal ignore. The GA season will be much longer and you may not close the pool fully like you did in MA.

EDIT: a Good place to start reading about new plaster finishes

Last edited:
Reactions: Carnut12
I was in your shoes about 2 years ago where I had to sell my pool (and the house as well) and move.
Installing a gunite pool does come with manual and chemical maintenance duties. The gunite takes time to cure and needs to be brushed and you’ll be adding acid to combat pH rise. Also you’ll need to monitor CSI to make sure it’s in range. That’s something that vinyl pools typically cal ignore.

Thank you!! We won’t miss the brutal winters, but we love our neighborhood and our backyard. Everyone that comes over says its like a High end resort. I want to create something just as nice. I can handle the extra brushing I’ve read about and watching the acid levels. I have some more research to do.

Reactions: Teald024
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.