LImited Access Yard - Pool Install

MisterC

Feb 23, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Hi All,
We were hoping to have a pool installed in our yard. We picked this house for the big backyard and room to put one on eventually.

We’ve had two companies out who said they are way to busy to take on the project because the yard only has a 5’ gate to enter (no other possible entry due to a forest, neighbours, etc)

Does anyone have any experience having a pool installed in a yard with limited access? Or am I out of luck on the pool...

They dug our whole pool with a Bob cat and made about 100 trips from the backyard to the front yard through a 6ft wide space. They also destroyed my front yard and made 1-1/2 foot deep hole at the sidewalk where they did their u-turn. If they want the job bad enough, they will figure out a way. Unfortunately this the peak of their season, not to mention with everyone home, they are getting bombarded with work. Good luck

Who owns the forest side? Can you get permission to go in that way? 5' between houses sounds like an accident waiting to happen on the other side.

When I got quotes for my pool they all wanted $7500 plus extra for the excavation because it wasn’t a full 6 feet. I ended up building the pool myself with the help of a few friends. Here a pic of the clearance. I got the neighbors to let me take the fence apart for a few days but I still had about 60”. I made hundreds of trips with the skid steer. It was a bit of dance to zig zag around the a/c and the 2 gas meters but I never hit either with only 2” to spare. Not bad for an amateur. It took all weekend to complete the excavation though. The guy driving the excavator was a pro so that helped.

You can follow my story here. We had to take our the back of our garage for our project, which is ongoing:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What about an above ground pool? I know it's not an inground but hey... the water is still wet n you can get the boxe pool back there.

Reactions: kimkats
We've done it many times on tight sites. I had a pool last year we had 2 mini track skidsteers rumming dirt out and 2 mini excavators in the back digging. The little skids couldnt reach high enough to dump into the truck my full size was in the road being dumped into to load. The 4 minis were all rentals we smoked it in a weekend. The owner paid to fix the neighbors yard and we spruced up their landscaping too. 59" between houses with a gas meter its doable. I worked years ago in the city on a lot where the guys hand dug a small pool amd used a crane with a bucket to fly the dirt over the home's they were all touching zero access. The guys had to walk thru the house with tools amd supplies to build it they pumped amd plastered thru hoses thru the people's house was insane

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.