Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
:( I have three lights. Two in the pool and one for the spa. Strangely one pool light and the spa light both stopped working tonight. Resets, breakers, etc, didn’t solve the problem. Tried in manual, via the Jandy PDA. So far nothing works. The lights are all LED and about two years old. My initial sense is this may be a problem with the automation controller (Aqualink RS). Any thoughts on what I should try or test? I haven’t pulled the lights and put a multimeter to the power cords yet. It’s dark and so I’ll try that in the morning. That should narrow it down to the lights or the controller/wiring. I have about 5 days to get it fixed.

Last edited:
Are all 3 lights on the same transformer or separate transformers?

Check power in and out of the transformers and that should point you in the right direction.

I once read that the LEDs could overheat and turn off. Not sure if that's accurate or not but I had mine turn off once and then days later work again. I've never been overly impressed by my lights (Savi Melody) so it could just be those but....
<shrug> Just tossing that out.

Maddie :flower:

I once read that the LEDs could overheat and turn off. Not sure if that's accurate or not but I had mine turn off once and then days later work again. I've never been overly impressed by my lights (Savi Melody) so it could just be those but....
<shrug> Just tossing that out.

Maddie :flower:

Some LED electronic boards have thermal protection and will shutdown the light if it gets too hot. Pool LED lights dissipate heat to the water through the front lense. The light niche is a hostile place for the light to get much cooling which is why we see so many LED light failures.

Sometimes the thermal protector gets weak and opens prematurely.

Can't be the same if one light works. Most likely not the transformer. Maybe a critter took out the connection somewhere.
You're right as the spa light and pool lights are on different circuits in the Aqualink panel, yet the two went out at roughly the same time/day. That's why I'm leaning towards something in the controller. But testing the circuits should hopefully narrow it down. UPDATE: For some unknown reason, the spa light started working. Now it's just one pool light that's out.

I doubt your problem is with the Aqualink. Exhaust all other reasons before looking at the Aqualink.

I doubt your problem is with the Aqualink. Exhaust all other reasons before looking at the Aqualink.
Agreed. So after a few minutes of turning it on, the spa light went off. I checked the voltage going into the junction box downstream from the controller and it’s still showing 125V. So nope, it’s not the controller. 71F5FD5E-418F-4CCF-90CC-A82F1794FB86.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Must be the bulb. Getting full power at the light socket. Really weird that two bulbs went out almost simultaneously. Will check the other bulb socket to confirm image.jpg

Last edited:
Well it’s not simply the bulb. I took out the bulb and put it in a lamp....working fine. Cool to the touch. Running over 15 minutes with no problems. So power gets to the light fixture. And the light bulb operates on its own. But the combination isn’t working consistently. I don't see any corrosion or other issues in the socket that should interfere with operation. The inside of the fixture was clean and dry. O-ring was in good shape. Thoughts?
image.jpg

Last edited:
ive seen similar intermittent issues when the wires in the controller get loose or corroded. Here we have ants and they are attracted to the heat or vibration in the controller, at least once a year I have to open the controller box, take of front cover and blow out all the fried ants and ant carcasses. Ive had them cause issues more than once. I tighten down the wires while im in there

Reactions: Exlonghorn
Does the center pin of the socket have any corrosion and look like it makes a good connection with the light?

You try putting another bulb in that socket? Even a non-LED bulb to test the socket.

Reactions: Exlonghorn
Does the center pin of the socket have any corrosion and look like it makes a good connection with the light?

You try putting another bulb in that socket? Even a non-LED bulb to test the socket.
I put the bulb back in the fixture...disassembled and out of the water. Even covered it with a towel in the sun to see if it might be a temperature issue. It’s been solid on for two hours. I don’t see any evidence of corrosion or shorts in the housing. I did remove a light white powdery substance on the end of the bulb. There wasn’t much of it. Might be the culprit? This is a mystery.
image.jpgimage.jpg73D4EC9D-F2FE-4DD1-A0F9-E08DFD9F5849.jpegimage.jpg

Last edited:
I have had some weird issues with pool LEDS. First one I bought few years quit working, sent it back to the manufacturer and they said nothing wrong ad sent it back..Worked for another year. I even asked " are you sure you didn't swap or fix it" " nope"..Strange

Maybe try some conductive goo on the bulb contacts.

I was thinking of applying some of that same red terminal protector you see in auto parts stores for protecting car battery terminals, but this looks like a more appropriate product. thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.