Goldsboro, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I have 2 Pentair multi-colored lights in my pool (the exact model number I do not know). They are at least 8+ years old as I am sure they were installed when the pool was built by the previous owner. They are controlled by one light switch at the equipment pad. Both lights have stopped working unexpectedly. By both of them not working I do not assume it is the light itself, but something else. I have checked the breakers.

Any ideas? I am not sure of the mechanics of the lights, so any guidance is much appreciated. I do know there are two Pentair junction boxes by the equipment pad that I assume are for the lights.

God bless and thanks in advance! :cool:

Matthew

Matthew:

Those are likely Pentair SAm or SAl lights. They are called "Spectrum Aqualites." Until about a month ago, we had two installed, one in the pool and one in the spa. I have since replaced them with Pentair Intellibrite 5G LED lights.

If they are not working, you can take them up out of the pool and check for any leaks. These are notorious for leaking from where the cord enters the back of the fixture. In any event, any water intrusion will lead to the lights burning out. Even if you don't have water intrusion, you do need to change the bulbs from time to time. On the SAm, you use two MR16 12V x 70W bulbs. I think the SAl uses one MR16 12V x 50W and 2 12V by 35W bulbs.

BTW, are these 120V or 12V? You can take them out of the pool by unscrewing the brass screw at the top of the stainless ring that holds the fixture in the light niche. Once you do so, you can check the label on the back of the fixture to find its model number.

Cheers...

Craig

Thank you everyone for the advice. I plan to investigate today.

In regards to removing the lights from the pool, there is no need to drain the water below the lights before taking them out, is there? If I remember correctly, water fills in the niche that the light sits in, right?

As an update...a late one at that :oops: I had checked a few things as suggested and nothing seemed wrong. As I was cutting grass the other day, I saw the receptacle near the pool deck and thought, maybe I should see if that has tripped. Sure enough, it had tripped and that was causing the lights not to come on. Simple fix after all! :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.