Lightning Hit Aqua Plus -- now what

cteal

Bronze Supporter
Jun 25, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Well, what a fine day this has started out being. I wondered why my pool jets weren't on this morning to find that the Aqua Plus unit appeared off. We checked all of the breakers and they were on. We turned the breaker on the Aqua Plus off and back on and you can tell it is getting power to it. But, the display will not work. We removed the display to find that there appears to have been something that "arc'd" (per my husband). There is a burned spot on the board in the picture below. We did have 1 bolt of lightning yesterday that was pretty close. So, I assume that is what happened. So, does anyone know if that means we will have to replace the entire board or what? Thanks for any advice.Aqua Plus 2 7.2.18 with .jpg

That kind of damage seems very localized for a lightening strike. And no blown breakers also points to not a lightening strike. Is it still under warranty? If so, I would follow up with the maker for a warranty claim.

Based on your signature, your gear is less than a year old. Submit for warranty replacement and don't offer any explanations or theories to the service company. Just a "it stopped working" should suffice.

That is what a lightning strike could do to a circuit board, and that could easily happen without popping a breaker. They can and do look worse, and a strike could pop a breaker, but you don't know any of what happened, so don't shoot yourself in the foot. You can decide for yourself the ethics or offering up your hypothesis or not, but that's all it would be so why should you?

I am assuming (cause I don't know a whole lot about the electrical side of things) that you are referring to the one that has the 3 on it. If that is the case, my husband pulled it out this am and said it looked fine. Thanks for the link-- gonna check it out.

An extra 2 cents worth...

Fooling with it, "pulling it out" (whatever that means), taking things apart to diagnose, etc, is a sure-fire way to void your warranty. If you still are under warranty, put it back together, don't mess with it further, and call for the servicing...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.