Mesa, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My pool being built is being bonded through the skimmer. So the pool light niche is not bonded. Does a ground wire still need to be installed on the inside grounding strip that also attaches to the bonding lug on the outside of the niche? I hope this makes sense.
20200722_213335.jpg
20200722_213516.jpg

On mine,the outside of the niche Had a bonding lug connecting it to the rebar. I’d make sure yours is too. View attachment 154434
That's the thing as you see in the pics min is not. My pool is bonded through the pool skimmer. So is ground wire on inside still necessary? I've been having issues with installers being lazy so I've been going over their work.20200722_225459.jpg

I have a Pentair niche and the outside lug is for bonding. The inside lug is for grounding. Find out what kind of niche it is and then read the manual. It’s only a few pages long, this way you know for sure. The skimmer bonding is for the water not the light.

The outside bond lug should be connected to the bond wire/bonding grid. The inside ground lug is only necessary if the light requires a ground wire. 120 volt lights need the ground wire from the inside of the niche to the junction box. Low voltage lights are often exempt, but check to be sure.

Reactions: NinjaWorf
I have a Pentair niche and the outside lug is for bonding. The inside lug is for grounding. Find out what kind of niche it is and then read the manual. It’s only a few pages long, this way you know for sure. The skimmer bonding is for the water not the light.
It's a Hayward niche. It does call for a wire but also called for it to be bonded on outside lug but PB says pool is bonded with skimmer that's why niche wasn't bonded.

The outside bond lug should be connected to the bond wire/bonding grid. The inside ground lug is only necessary if the light requires a ground wire. 120 volt lights need the ground wire from the inside of the niche to the junction box. Low voltage lights are often exempt, but check to be sure.
Yes, pentair light does have a ground in already.
20200723_143109.jpg

Anything that comes with a bond lug should be bonded. I would connect the niche outside bond lug to the bond wire/bond grid.

If the light requires a ground, you also install a supplemental #8 green insulated stranded ground from the ground in the niche to the ground in the junction box.

Note that the black wire insulation is nicked. That needs to be fixed.

Reactions: Desert Dog
Second what JamesW said. The more bonds the better. I know my Inspector would not pass it if the light niche is not bonded or grounded. 12 Volt or not. If it has a lug it should be bonded/grounded. Perhaps they insist on the ground because someone in the future good potentially swap out the low voltage for high. Anyway i asked my inspector this question as I did my own electric work and he said the only exception is the niche less low voltage light. It doesn't have them anyway. I say better safe than sorry.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To tag onto this thread, is it correct that a 120v fixture should have two grounds in addition to the bonding wire? My light has 3 wires for the fixture itself (hot, neutral and ground) and another ground wire running from inside the niche into the junction box. I thought the additional ground wire was for bonding but it would make more sense if it was a ground wire.

I can't see the back side of the niche so I'm assuming (hoping!) that is where the bond wire is attached.

I can't see the back side of the niche so I'm assuming (hoping!) that is where the bond wire is attached.
If you really wanted to check. You should be able to take the ground wire at your junction box coming from the niche and ohm it out with the ground wire coming from your bond. I think anything under 1 ohm is considered acceptable.

If this is a 120v light like it looks there is only 1 install that is proper for that plastic niche. First the light has to go to a UL listed Jbox continuously no splices. the section of conduit off the niche is wet amd must be watertight to above ground. Inside that conduit is the black light shield that has a hot, neutral, and ground. Along with that you install a green #8 stranded insulated wire that attaches inside the niche to the lug on the plate. This connection leaves half inch of wire stripped amd then the whole lug amd wire gets potting compound to protect the lug amd exposed strands of wire from chlorine rot. Inside is done now. Outside the copper lug gets #8 solid bind wire back to the outside bond lug of the UL light Jbox. If theres rebar nearby bond it with extra wire passing thru one end of lug to grab that too. At the UL jnox inside both ground go to the ground bar amd the bond lug gets the solid bond wire on the outside. Theres no other way to skin this cat. PB is foolish for saying no bond needed you cant have too many especially with 120v light

Reactions: Aquaman7
If this is a 120v light like it looks there is only 1 install that is proper for that plastic niche. First the light has to go to a UL listed Jbox continuously no splices. the section of conduit off the niche is wet amd must be watertight to above ground. Inside that conduit is the black light shield that has a hot, neutral, and ground. Along with that you install a green #8 stranded insulated wire that attaches inside the niche to the lug on the plate. This connection leaves half inch of wire stripped amd then the whole lug amd wire gets potting compound to protect the lug amd exposed strands of wire from chlorine rot. Inside is done now. Outside the copper lug gets #8 solid bind wire back to the outside bond lug of the UL light Jbox. If theres rebar nearby bond it with extra wire passing thru one end of lug to grab that too. At the UL jnox inside both ground go to the ground bar amd the bond lug gets the solid bond wire on the outside. Theres no other way to skin this cat. PB is foolish for saying no bond needed you cant have too many especially with 120v light
Jimmy,
Can the light be bonded to the bonding loop the circles the pool and the J box be bonded via the bonding wire coming from the pump? If the J box is at the equipment pad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.