Levels adequate; Water still cloudy

Mfiri046

May 28, 2020
New jersey
Alkalinity 80
pH 7.2
Chlorine 1.0

Don’t feel levels are that bad that my pool should be so cloudy. Should I shock, add algacide, or a clearing agent? If shock, how much do you recommend for a 10,000 gallon at this point? Would be my 3rd treatment since opening. Thx!!

Thx for the quick reply. Initially, CYA was at 10; after a couple of shocks, chlorine wasn’t increasing. So I added a gallon of conditioner which helped get the level to 1ppm after adding it and reshocking
Do you have feedback from Ice's post to share on your current CYA level and testing method (which kit you are using)? Are you getting comfortable with the concept of the FC/CYA relationship?

Also, I recommend viewing the following video on shocking pools. It's an ineffective and unnecessary process.

We generally don't use algicide or clearing agents.

It may be just verbiage but we don't shock we SLAM. See pool school for slam steps.

We also perform our own tests, not trusting pool stores, they are not consistent and generally want to sell you items you don't need. See link in my signature for test kits. Either get the TF100 or 2006C for proper kit. Once you have one you can do an OCLT (overnight chlorine loss test) to determine if you need to slam.

In the mean time, maintain ~2 to 3ppm FC to hold back any algae bloom, which it sounds like you are building up to.

Good luck on your mission!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.